UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2012, 10:43 pm   #1
dee_pat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp VL - A10 camcorder can't play tapes.

Hi,

I hope someone might help me with a problem I am currently having with my Sharp VL - A10 camcorder.

Allow me to explain;

I took the device out of storage today with the intention of converting old tapes onto disk. It won't read any of the four tapes I have. I can remember this happening before but it would eventually wake up and work ok. I haven't operated it since then, which was about a year ago.

The possible reasons I can think of are:

The camcorder was in storage with a tape inside it - may not be of benefit?
The tape-reader might be dirty?

The picture LCD screen comes across similar to that of a TV station that has been lost.

Should I give up or is there something I can do to remedy this?

Thanks with anticipation.

Damian
Old 13th Sep 2012, 7:40 pm   #2
dee_pat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sharp VL - A10 camcorder can't play tapes.

I think I've answered this myself, the heads need cleaning. Well it's worth a go!

Anyone recommend gin as a liquid solution, as it's all I have? Not sure what to use as to apply it? Might be best to go and get the right thing to do the job properly.

Thanks,

Damian
Old 14th Sep 2012, 7:46 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
I'd recommend a proper video head cleaning cassette, should be available from ebay very cheaply, camera shops may still have them too. I'm not sure as to using gin to clean heads!!

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 14th Sep 2012, 10:03 am   #4
dee_pat
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers

I've no other choice than to do a home made job on it.

In fact Its beginning to come around. I blew inside the compartment, and wiped the rotating part with a cloth.

Not recommending this, but I need to finish this project by late tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Damian
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:21 am   #5
paolo
Heptode

If you need to do it pronto, use Isopropyl Alcohol and a lint free cloth. Be very careful as the heads are extremely delicate. Taking a bit of time to get a proper cleaning cassette though is the recommended approach if you're not sure about what you're doing. These older camcorders can be a long time dead if a part fails.
Old 14th Sep 2012, 5:00 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

Always rub the heads in the direction the tape moves in. They snap off if you do them any other way.
Old 15th Sep 2012, 1:48 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Keep it switched on for a good while and things will hopefully perk up. After storage the SMD capacitors all seem to die unpleasantly.
Glyn
Old 17th Sep 2012, 7:12 pm   #8
dee_pat
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks alot (a lot) guys.

I'm still working on my project. Got the camera working by cleaning the rotating head part with a cloth that one would use to clean spectacle lenses. No isopropyl or anything though I have tried to find it in local shops.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it as I was a new member and that, just passing through. I hope I might stay here and have a look around and see if there is anything else that floats my boat.

Cheers

Damian
Closed Thread