UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2017, 5:13 pm   #1
AlisonW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ace Sheerline Radiogram. Chassis No. 357/S.

Hi everyone.

Just acquired the above. It has a Monarch deck attached. It is driving me mad. Just changed the output and preamp valves. Still a really bad sound from the radio and record player, very distorted. Also when I turn the tone down the volume goes down too. I cannot find anything about this radiogram online as the only ID on it is the chassis. I would really appreciate your help. I have found quite a basic schematic but it doesn't seem much help.
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 5:34 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Ace Sheerline Radiogram. Chassis No. 357/S.

Hi Alison

Radiomuseum suggests this is a stereogram from 1960.

I don't know what kind of capacitors it uses but the symtoms you describe suggest you have leaky caps.

Some pictures of the underside of the chassis would give us a clue.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 5:58 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The circuit for the 357/S chassis is available from the Service Data link at the top of the page.
Note not a full manual just circuit diagram.
http://www.service-data.com/product.php/101/258/c10101

Perhaps the same as what you already have.
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 6:21 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Bad valves are almost never responsible for these faults. Beginners always think that changing random valves will provide a magic fix, but as you've discovered, it doesn't.

If you have no expertise with this sort of technology then it may be better to pay someone to sort out the problems for you. You can ask for professional help in this section of the forum.

You are welcome to try to sort it out yourself, and forum members are a very helpful lot, but there will be a steep learning curve.
Closed Thread