UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2018, 11:51 am   #1
BGUERBET
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony VO-5850P U-matic VCR (Main drive don't start)

My UMATIC VO-5850P has the tape drive engine that does not start.
When I turn it by hand, the video scrolls without problem, forward as back.
Does anyone have an idea of what to do?
Old 6th Jun 2018, 9:03 pm   #2
peterpixel
Pentode

Default Re: Sony VO-5850P U-matic VCR (Main drive don't start)

Hi BGUERBET,I assume it is the capstan motor(engine) which is not rotating.The tape loads and when you select play the play lamp illuminates and you should hear the pressure roller solenoid click.If all this happens and the capstan does not move then either the drive to the capstan motor or the capstan motor itself is faulty.Do you have the manual?,this will be essential for you to trace the fault further. I have never had to replace a capstan motor and I have had contact with many of these units over many years.To start check that the connector to the motor hasn't come loose,you might be lucky.Best of luck and feel free to come back with questions as I or others on the forum may be able to answer.Peter.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 11:30 pm   #3
BGUERBET
Retired Dormant Member

No, I do not have the service manual ... Do you have it?
The engine that does not start is the engine that is below
I dismounted in another video recorder card TP72 and interchanged it with the video recorder to repair ... and there, the engine was running but much too fast ... as if it was fast forward ...
Attached photos of the motor concerned and the TP72 control card
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-04 18.07.02.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	164228   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-04 18.07.29.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	164229  
Old 8th Jun 2018, 6:50 pm   #4
peterpixel
Pentode

Hi BGUERBET,it looks from your comments about trying a board change like the drum/capstan motor driver board is faulty.This is the one you are holding, known as the DC10A and not TP72 which is a test point.I do have the manual and if you send me a private message via the forum I can email the schematic and layout of the board in question.Peter.
Closed Thread