UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2017, 2:38 pm   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Old aerial outlet sockets

That did happen sometimes, but by 1967 BBC2 was well established, and I think ntscuser was commenting on the fact that dual standard sets had separate UHF and VHF inputs.

It was just not possible to distribute UHF signals on many existing communal aerial systems of that era, and councils were (are) not known for their foresight etc.

The solution, in many cases, was to down-convert BBC2 to an unused VHF channel at the head-end.

At the customers end there was two possibilities. One was to modify the set so the system switch left the VHF tuner enabled permanently.

Later, if the block of flats had still not had a modern UHF distribution system after BBC1 & ITV became available on UHF, two more unused VHF channels were utilised for these.

The second method which now was viable, was to use a single-standard UHF/625 set and a VHF to UHF converter box, usually this one.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/alberts...a_CM6022RA.pdf

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 11th Sep 2017, 3:18 pm   #22
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

We used to see a few of these with a slide switch on the top. This would choose between the standard aerial and the Irish one. It was quite easy for customers in the higher villages here in NW Wales to get RTE from Dublin. All changed of course with digital!
Mind you I still have a customer who bought their new TV in Ireland and is able to get all RTE and UK Freeview channels.
Glyn
Old 11th Sep 2017, 5:24 pm   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

I had vaguely wondered why my Icecrypt T5000 STB searches for multiplexes in VHF Band III before searching the usual UK UHF Band VI and V channels. I appreciated that its system B/G functionality meant that it would work in mainland Europe, but hadn't made the connection that its VHF functionality could be for use in Ireland.
Old 12th Sep 2017, 2:41 am   #24
kan_turk
Hexode

Mention of system G = UHF (not B = VHF) - (there is no system B/G - where B/G appears in a country's listing it means that the country used system B at VHF and system G at UHF) in T5000 spec relates to internal analogue modulator and not to its reception capabilities - most DVB STBs cover bands III, IV & V as these remain allocated to digital TV broadcasting in most territories

Hope this clarified
Old 12th Sep 2017, 4:48 am   #25
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
That did happen sometimes, but by 1967 BBC2 was well established, and I think ntscuser was commenting on the fact that dual standard sets had separate UHF and VHF inputs.

It was just not possible to distribute UHF signals on many existing communal aerial systems of that era, and councils were (are) not known for their foresight etc.
You are correct that I was commenting on the fact that dual standard sets had separate UHF and VHF inputs but the signals were actually combined here. My point was that prior to the introduction of single-standard UHF sets and given the relative unpopularity of BBC2, I doubt many people went to the bother of swapping aerial inputs or buying an adapter.

You are also correct that our council and later the housing association which replaced it showed an incredible lack of foresight when installing their respective systems.