UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2015, 2:27 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Go green, buy a G8!

Then, of course there's the matter of power (rate) vs. energy (amount). People are notoriously bad at confusing the two, especially at the extremes. For example, an electric shower heater uses a lot of power (7 - 10 kW); but only for a few minutes each day, so still not much energy. At the opposite end of the scale, a transformer core may take a few watts to magnetise it even with no secondary current flowing; this small amount of power all the time adds up to a lot of energy over a year.
Old 29th Jun 2015, 12:09 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

But a daily electric shower still uses about 10X as much power per year as a 5W 24/7 load......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jun 2015, 10:27 pm   #23
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

True, pretty well. A five-minute, 10kW daily shower would cost around £37 a year compared with £5 a year for the 5-watt standby. But count up the number of chargers, set-top boxes, aerial pre-amplifiers, PVRs and other appliances which are left connected to the mains in most households, and it starts to become more significant. I recently identified over 25 watts of standby consumption in my house - a good rule-of-thumb is that every watt left on 24/7 costs £1 per year, so it is worth minimising this wherever possible.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 30th Jun 2015, 2:30 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
a good rule-of-thumb is that every watt left on 24/7 costs £1 per year, so it is worth minimising this wherever possible.
But remember also that most of your electrical Watts end up as low-grade heat. And in doing so these Watts mean your central-heating has to work less-hard to keep the house at a given temperature.

This is often duplicitously overlooked by the Green-types when arguing that replacing traditional incandescent bulbs by LED/CFL equivalents can "save you £x-per-year". All they're essentially doing is shifting your necessary power-consumption from the lighting bill to the gas/oil/coal/logs/whatever heating-bill.
Old 30th Jun 2015, 2:58 pm   #25
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
But remember also that most of your electrical Watts end up as low-grade heat. And in doing so these Watts mean your central-heating has to work less-hard to keep the house at a given temperature.
In the Winter.

In the Summer, it means your air conditioning has to work harder to keep the house at a given temperature. Still, each joule that goes into the air conditioner moves about 3 joules of heat from the intake to the exhaust (where the 4 joules eventually come out) and if it's running on solar power, then you don't have to pay for it.
Old 30th Jun 2015, 5:08 pm   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

With heat from gas or oil costing 3-4p per kWh, and heat from electricity at 12 or 13p per kWh, it makes eminent sense to use the most energy-efficient form of lighting that you can. Lighting is used during many times of the year when the waste heat just isn't required and will therefore be simply wasted. My pet hate is in shops where halogen lighting is installed and left on all day long, then they have to install an air conditioner to extract all the waste heat.

Heat is an unwanted by-product of a lighting device. We have come a long way since the candle (90 watts of heat for 12 lumens of light) via the incandescent lamp (5 lumens per watt of primary energy) so the LED at over 30 lumens per watt is a Good Thing.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread