UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 4:23 pm   #1
The KB Kid
Triode

Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK. Also work on contracts throughout the UK.
Default KB SV30FM Information Request

Dear Forum,
this is my first ever post so here goes . . .

Earlier this year after a long search I became the fortunate (and lucky) owner of the above model. I've long been a fan of KB sets from the early 60's (I also own a QF "Majestic" model) but had never managed to get my hands on a "tambour doored" set, until a few months ago when I felt that all my Christmases had come at once - I'm sure I don't have to try and explain the joy that comes of finally getting your hands on your "dream set"!

Anyway it's still to be worked on (only managed to give it a bit of a clean so far) but I was hoping that a member would be able to advise me on the correct size of "Dansette" legs for it? This might seem a bit "nit-picky" but as it shall hopefully be our main set in the sitting room I want to get it absolutely spot on. I've tried placing it on top of a table (approx 18" high) to get an idea of leg size - looked not too bad - but as I say I thought that I'd join up and pick everyone's brains! I have the original circuit diagrams and parts lists - everything is listed apart from - you've guessed - the legs (and their size).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Good Wishes to all.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:13 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: KB SV30FM Information Request

Congratulations finding one of last 405 line only TVs. I remember these sets when they new but can't recall if I ever came across one fitted with legs.
Perhaps a picture of the underside would help, this would determine the type of fixing plates needed for the legs.

DFWB.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:54 pm   #3
The KB Kid
Triode

Hello Fernseh,
thanks for your good wishes and reply.
Currently I'm working away from home and unfortunately won't be back for a few weeks. However when I return I'll certainly take and upload a photo - I'm sure that the fixing plates are actually still in-situ on the KB. If I'd had my commonsense head on I would've taken the photos before I left . . .
Just as a post script I remember seeing a previous thread (?Nov/Dec 2010) from another member who had done a cracking job restoring the 17" (SV30) version that they'd rescued from a skip- it not only made great reading but also a lovely KB advert of the time was posted showing several of their sets.
Kind Regards.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 9:31 pm   #4
matspar
Pentode

I had one of these KB sets up until a few years ago when I sold off a big pile of sets to make space. Think mine was the 'imperial de luxe' with the tambour doors. They were really solidly built things, would probably survive being thrown from a tower block! mine didn't have legs either but would look the part mounted on some suitable ones. Have a look round your local furniture charity shops and you'll probably find an old 60's tv table which you could use or nick the legs from. 18" would be a good starting point, get it about eye level when in a seated position!

Matt
Old 29th Aug 2017, 8:51 pm   #5
The KB Kid
Triode

Hi Matt,
mine too is the "Imperial de luxe" - (the de luxe part being a 19" as opposed to 17" screen and also a FM radio!) You're spot on it's a well built set although not heavy at all to lift. I would get "Mrs KB" to have a look in the charity shops but I'm trying to keep her out of them as much as possible! Seriously though top tip reference that - thanks - work unfortunately just seems to get in the way of sorting these jobs out.
Regards.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 7:22 am   #6
crackle
Rest in Peace

There are a set of 18 inch legs currently for sale for £15 on eBay.

Mike
Old 30th Aug 2017, 7:28 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It was actually a RV30. Very similar to your SV30 series. I still have the receiver working well. It gets switched on quite a lot. John.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...KB+RV30&page=2
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:44 pm   #8
The KB Kid
Triode

Hello Crackle.

Many thanks for the heads up reference to the set of eBay dansette legs.

Hello Heatercathodeshort/John.

Thanks for listing the link, I've just had a re-read of your thread, congratulations on an excellent job on a lovely looking set. I never get tired of looking at the photos! You've certainly set the bar high, I'll be delighted if my "baby" turns out as well.

Kind Regards.
Closed Thread