UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2015, 6:57 pm   #1
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Default Does anyone know what TV this is?

I saw this TV on an advert the other day and wondered if anyone could tell me what TV it is?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	109603
Old 17th Jun 2015, 7:04 am   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone know what TV this is?

It looks like a portable B&W set of Japanese/ far eastern manufacture from the late 1970's.
These were very common at the time, and will be quite difficult to identify the exact make and model.

Mark
Old 17th Jun 2015, 9:38 am   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

I agree with Mark; the 'giveaway' being it looks as if it has two tuners (VHF & UHF) as it would have had in the US and Europe. In practice it has a blank which often says something like "IC solid state" and a single, UHF, tuner. Mostly from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, I believe most of these were just a bit before China and Korea really got going in their export drive. There was much 'badge engineering' and own brand applied to these sets; however CROWN was a popular brand around this time and it may be a good name to start with.
Old 17th Jun 2015, 2:38 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - it's likely to be a Plustron, Teleton, Crown or something of that ilk. They tended to work quite well with any faults not being too complicated.
Plustron also produced a couple of large-screen sets that looked similar in 17" and 19" versions. However rotary tuning foxed most people used to push-button tuning on their main TV and most I saw had a 'crib sheet' taped to the cabinet!
Closed Thread