UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:51 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Panasonic NV-F70 and NV-F75 VCR's

I am trying to understand where these two VCR's were placed (date and performance wise). I see that the F70 has buttons styled like my 1990 J35 (rectangles on the drop-down flap) and the F75 has an almost identical design but has round colour grouped buttons. The F70 has a different style video input socket.

Which came first and are there any other differences between them?

I am trying to untangle the Panasonic VCR web (and maybe try a few machines along the way).

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks, Ian
Old 5th Jan 2011, 12:23 pm   #2
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-F70 and NV-F75 VCR's

It would help if we knew what the video input sockets were on these two machines, as you say they are different on both.

BNC? Phono? SCART?
Old 5th Jan 2011, 12:55 pm   #3
steve c
Triode

The F70 has BNC connectors the F75 has a scart
I have copies of the instruction books if they would be of help

Steve
Old 5th Jan 2011, 1:14 pm   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks. The F70 has BNC as you say and the F75 has Phono's (as well as one SCART).

I think they look very nice myself and if I were to design a piece of AV equipment, this would be something I would be proud of. Understated, nice materials, clear display, well built. The current range of AV equipment I looked at is so flimsy it would not be something I would be proud to own, but then again price is the main point in these tough times. Thankfully the 'old days' happened and I can use equipment that I feel happy with.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 2:04 am   #5
royking
Retired Dormant Member

I Have a NV-F70 still in use
BNC Video IN/Out. Phono Audio In/Out. and Scart
I use it with a NVF-75 Remote (Manual Rec programing No bar code sheet required)
from Memory it was released in 1987/88 and the NV-F75 around 1989/90

I also have an NVF-65 but it only has L.P.Audio

Roy
Old 11th Jan 2011, 10:21 am   #6
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Roy, I would be interested in your experiences if you would care to share them. I have purchaced from eBay an NV-F75 (came with both remotes, manual and bar-code sheet). It was advertised as not working after a power cut, and after it arrived yesterday I did a full PSU capacitor swap. Up and running fine now - just needs a careful clean and tape path clean-up. Initial impressions are good, with nicely operating buttons and I see it has an audio only record function on Hi-Fi tracks - just perfect for my radio work. The display panel has much fogging behind it, so the display is less than optimal, yet what I can see looks good. I do note that the head looks a bit worn, but luckily I got some from ELC at a fiver each - will fit one if needed.
Old 11th Apr 2011, 8:07 pm   #7
godstar
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I've just had mine go after 22 (plus) years of service. There is no power supply light up , I'm a complete amateur so If anyone can help me or point me in the right way to testing first the power supply and secondly to replacing it, if it is the problem. I don't want to lose it. Its been a faithful friend.
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:34 pm   #8
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Godstar,

There are a few threads on the forum about dead Panasonic G-deck machines, I have posted a few diagrams myself.

This fault is mostly caused by a 400 Volt 1uF 'startup capacitor', but there is at least one other Electrolytic capacitor that should be replaced.

In a few cases a dead machine can be caused by failure of the 'chopper IC'

Which machine do you have exactly ?, as the component references change depending on the model number.

If you have no luck searching the forum for your answer, please post the model number of your machine and either I, or some of the other posters will try to help you repair your machine.

Cheers,
Baz

Last edited by Red to black; 11th Apr 2011 at 10:44 pm. Reason: sp
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:44 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

A blanket recap of the power supply is probably in order. Don't be tempted just to change the obvious ones, or you'll be back in there again soon after (been there done that!)
Use only 105ยบ types. These PSUs run warm at the best of times.
Old 14th Apr 2011, 10:36 pm   #10
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

i Have one of these as well and it went dead a couple of months a go after a power cut will need some caps mine is a NVF70B it has scart and BNC connections as well as phono
Can you still get heads for these machines?
This is the best vcr i have owned and had never had any G deck type problems with it
only needing the ocasional pinch roller
Old 14th Apr 2011, 11:29 pm   #11
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Gec,

Here is a diagram for the NV-F70 PSU, I have circled the two capacitors which should be replaced as a minimum, C1109 (1uF 400V) is the start up capacitor when this fails (usually after the machine being unplugged for a while) leads to the 'dead' condition, and C1114 (47uF 16V) is part of the regulation feedback circuit, and when this Capacitor fails, it leads to the PSU going into the overvolt condition

Ideally, as ben said in a previous post, all of the electrolytics should really be replaced, as these machines do run rather warm and are getting on in terms of age, most of these capacitors will be beginning to fail.

Cheers,
Baz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PSU from NV-F70.pdf (346.7 KB, 999 views)
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:18 am   #12
DangerMan
Heptode

When the power supply goes badly into the overvoltage condition, D1113 provides protection to the rest of the machine by "deliberately" going short circuit to stop the show, so it's worth checking as it will shut down the smps.
If it's shorted because of the caps, replace with a zener of similar wattage, not a big one!
Pete
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:53 am   #13
Red to black
Nonode

Quite right Dangerman:
Quote:
When the power supply goes badly into the overvoltage condition, D1113 provides protection to the rest of the machine by "deliberately" going short circuit to stop the show
I forgot to add that bit about the 'crowbar' diode, other posters have mentioned this before in similar threads.

Another problem with these machines PSU that started to show up as these machines aged, is the failure of the 'chopper IC', IC 1101 and on occasion the multi-regulator IC, IC 1102, sometimes both together, and as well as has already been mentioned just about all of the Electrolytics, giving various symptoms.

I have had this device (D1113) fail in the past, but it was not always common, but as these machines have started to age it may be becoming far more common now than it was then.

There have been several threads about this range of machines and PSU's in the past on the forum, they are all similar in construction, but with different component location numbers, and different components/values etc., and follow a similar fault pattern, for the same reason (namely heat).

Cheers,
Baz
Old 15th Apr 2011, 9:53 am   #14
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Since starting this thread I have done a bit of comparing between these two models for what it is worth. Whilst mechanically they are almost the same, there are some other changes - see my list below.

F70 - has manual and auto tracking switch. F75 - auto tracking only with manual overide, has larger tracking range than F70.
F70 - has BNC video in and out sockets. F75 - has phono instead.
F70 - has brighter, more contrasty picture in all modes. F75 has slightly darker picture with stronger colour in all modes except 'edit' where the picture looks more like the F70.
The power supply is different too - but both have the weak start-up cap.

In my opinion the biggest difference between them is the picture. Both are excellent, however I see sometimes that the F70 blows the bright areas on some recordings and fine detail can be lost. The colour is neutral. This contrast though can give added snap to films.
The F75 has a slightly softer and more coloured look and on shows taped using videotape like Root Into Europe and One Foot In The Grave, the picture looks more natural. The 'edit' mode makes for a brighter picture - more like the F70 in a way. The edit switch on the F70 has less effect. There is more picture processing going on in the F75 I think.

The sound on both units is first rate - strong and clear on both Hi-Fi and linear mono tracks.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 2:33 am   #15
ben
Dekatron

I have just found and scanned a review of the NV- F70 and Sony SLV401 in an old camcorder user mag, dated May 1989. Too big to post here but anyone interested in a copy can PM me their email.
Old 17th Mar 2012, 12:48 am   #16
Samba1360
Triode

On Panasonic stuff of this era you can tell the year of manufacture by the first number after/between the first set of letters, 1= 1981, 2=1982 etc., you will should be able to guess the decade.
Old 17th Mar 2012, 6:44 pm   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

The first letter corresponds to the month of the year (A...L), the set of letters after the year indicates the factory.
Old 27th Sep 2012, 10:30 pm   #18
Bruno Matos
Retired Dormant Member

hi friends, maybe you guys can help me, I have a panasonic VCR NV-F70 and he is not playing the "play" when paerta the "play" it to automatically stop, what can be?
Old 30th Sep 2012, 3:25 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

Open the top. Does the drum move?
Unless you have experience, these G- decks are probably not suitable for the average person to work on. Even skilled technicians can be brought to their knees by them!
Closed Thread