UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2007, 7:51 pm   #1
avometereight
Retired Dormant Member

Default Codar CR70A

Hi everyone
I have a Codar CR70A receiver which I purchased new in 1972.
It has been laid up in my mothers loft for the past 15 years, I recently found it and have been using it for the past few month with no problems.
I left it on standby at the weekend and forgot about it for 2 hours, when I came back into the room, there was a strong smell of burning and the backlight was dim.
Upon examination, the mains transformer T4 has burnt out.
Can anyone tell me if a modern alternative is available and where to get one?
Thanks.
Old 5th Mar 2007, 8:54 pm   #2
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Codar cR70A

Looks like a fairly standard 250-0-250 with 6.3v heater. I'd guess the HT winding is 50mA and LT 1A.

The manual says the auxiliary socket at the rear supplies other equipment HT 230V 20mA and LT 0.75A so that should be a guide.

But what caused the mains transformer to burn out? Has it actually been damaged? Usual suspects: Smoothing capacitors, HT wiring, V5. If the 2K resistor between the smoothing caps looks cooked, check second smoothing cap (furthest from V5 in electrical terms!) and then other HT faults.

I have a manual (Codar's usual poor attempt) if you want a copy. Though it's not a workshop manual, just user's.

IMO this is a surprisingly poor set! Codar did a very good tx (AT5) and the PR40 preselector was pretty good, but this receiver is nothing more than a domestic set witha BFO in metal box.

Although re-reading your post, shorted HT may not affect the LT (from which the backlight is presumably powered?) that much... Is it just the LT windings with a fault?

Ian
Old 5th Mar 2007, 9:40 pm   #3
avometereight
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Codar cR70A

Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply.
I guess that just the LT is faulty as the valves all light up OK.
The transformer has dumped a pile of cream wax onto the bottom of the case.
I have a manual and a circuit diagram, thanks for the offer.
I have had a good look around the circuit and cannot see any other signs of cooked components, although I am not an electronics expert.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 5:07 pm   #4
avometereight
Retired Dormant Member

Default Codar cR70A mains transformer

Hi
I posted a message a couple of weeks ago regarding replacing the faulty mains transformer on my Codar CR70A receiver.
I have had a good look around on the net today and found one on the Maplins website.
It is a N90CC valve power transformer. 230V HT and 6.3V LT.
Can anyone tell me if this one is suitable.
Regards
Old 25th Mar 2007, 5:19 pm   #5
Station X

Default Re: Codar CR70A

Here's a link to the Maplin Transformer:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

It looks fine for the job if there's room for it and it can supply enough current.

Add up the heater curents of all the valves in the set to be sure the rating of the LT winding is not exceeded.

Do the same for the HT winding by adding up all the anode and screen currents.
Before you replace it check why it failed in the first place though. Read post 2 in this thread again.

The manual and circuit for this set can be downloaded here:-

http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/sitefiles/downloads.htm

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Apr 2007, 4:59 pm   #6
avometereight
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Codar CR70A

Hi everyone
I removed the original faulty mains transformer today and fitted the Maplin transformer, all is well, the set performs better than before.
If anyone else requires a replacement transformer for the CR70A, this is the one.
Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread