UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2018, 5:38 pm   #1
TapeTwoK
Triode

Default Help needed with a Sony HVC-3000P Camera

Hi all!

I recently obtained this Trinicon HVC-3000P camera from a friend of mine and realised that it used a proprietary Sony 'K' type connector I believe. They unfortunately do not have the original VCR unit, hence why I am looking for some advice; especially because it seems like it is relatively low hours.

I have an interest in using it with any kind of portable VHS VCR, but to my understanding they use a 10 pin connector which was the standard at the time.

I would like some help on how I might go about converting this camera to be used with the standard 10 pin system; if possible of course.

Although any advice that prevents me from shelling for an expensive and rare Sony video recorder unit would be very much appreciated!

Forgive my innocence on the matter but I've only really used cameras with build in VHS recorders. This is my first separate one.

I have attached photos of the camera itself and the connector.

Many thanks

Tape2K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	175061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	175062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	175063  
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:12 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Help needed with a Sony HVC-3000P Camera

I have one of the Betamax VCRs (SL-F1E) that could be used with this camera, along with the service manual for said VCR. From a quick glance at the circuit diagram it looks like the connector carries composite video, line level audio, a 12V power line, and a few control lines. Nothing that would be difficult to convert to another composite video connector.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:50 pm   #3
TapeTwoK
Triode

Thanks for the reply and confirmation. I managed to get ahold of a pinout from a website and the service manual for this camera as well, which lead me to a few compatible portable VCR models too. I am toying with the idea of just finding a compatible PAL VCR as to avoid being destructive with the camera's original connector. They are certainly hard to find and expensive! In hindsight however, it would seem like a better idea though; providing the units are just as reliable as VHS counterparts. I think I should just save up and wait so I can preserve the originality of this camera.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:58 pm   #4
kan_turk
Hexode

Hi
This should not be a problem - in fact converter cables used to be available with 14 pin ‘K’ connector at one end and 10 pin ‘J’ connector at the other - as far as I remember the only issue encountered was that the remote start/stop arrangements were different for the two systems ard the converter cable had some circuitry in one of the connector covers to address this - a trawl of the web may yield more details or perhaps someone on here can help

Rgds
John
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 7:13 pm   #5
TapeTwoK
Triode

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I would definitely be interested in some kind of adaptor cable since I'd like to avoid cutting up my connector to preserve originality. After pondering for a bit I decided keeping the camera original makes more sense. Especially if I happen to get a good deal on a compatible Betamax unit in the future.

I'll take a good look around the web to see if I can find anything related to the adaptor cable you mentioned.

I will say that if I have to loose some minimal functionality, that would be an okay pay off to keep the connector original, if I was unable to find a solution with the circuitry you mentioned. After-all it's no worry to me to simply use the controls on a VCR unit directly.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 8:17 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

Some useful info regarding the K-Connector over on PALsite.

Have a search around eBay etc for 'Betacam cable' or similar to perhaps find a sacrificial cable that you can then cut-the end off and re-terminate.

Something like an old Ferguson Videostar VA235 AC Adaptor could then be converted for use with your camera. Would make for a fun little project!
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 8:19 pm   #7
hamid_1
Heptode

Sony made the CMA-1010E camera adaptor specifically for doing what you want, i.e. plugging the HVC-300P into a portable VHS recorder equipped with a 10-pin camera socket. I had one - not sure if I still have it. Now you know what to look for, you may find one on an online auction site.

Before that, I made my own adaptor using a 14 pin "K" socket salvaged from a scrap C7 Betamax VCR. It's only necessary to connect the audio and video out from the camera to the AV inputs of whatever video recorder you are using, plus a 12v DC power supply for the camera itself. Sony also produced an adaptor like this, with its own mains power supply and AV outputs, enabling the camera to be used with any VCR, even those that didn't have a camera socket. Again, you might be able to find a secondhand adaptor or the bits to make one. Radio rallies often have that sort of stuff.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 10:02 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Available brand new on eBay £40 inc.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 12:28 am   #9
TapeTwoK
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
Sony made the CMA-1010E camera adaptor specifically for doing what you want, i.e. plugging the HVC-300P into a portable VHS recorder equipped with a 10-pin camera socket. I had one - not sure if I still have it. Now you know what to look for, you may find one on an online auction site.
Thanks for that information! That adapter is spot on for what I'm after. A non destructive way of getting this to work with any portable VHS unit. I shall pick one up as soon as some funds come in for me. As mentioned, I can buy one brand new on eBay.

Thanks to everyone who spent time replying to this. All answers have been greatly appreciated!
Old 25th Dec 2018, 12:44 am   #10
JohnBHanson
Heptode

The 14 pin connector also carries video /audio to the camera for the viewfinder on separate conductors whilst the 10 pin used the same conductors in one direction for record and another for playback.

The adaptor module had a relay in to connect the VCR audio to video either to the camera output (for recording) or to the viewfinder for playback.

I used to own one of these
Closed Thread