UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 8:10 am   #1
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Default Help indentifying a strange "Stern Clyne" amp

Hello All,

I wondered if any members had any information on the following amp? this is the second one of these I've owned, so I guess they are not uncommon? Having said that my second one has a serial number of "336" !

I was given the first one when I was 18 at the ITEC/EITB in Sheffield. The lecturer said that it had been brought in by a student as a non worker and as it has sat around for a bit he gave it to me. When I got it home I discovered a dead output transistor on both channels (it uses a pair of AD149's per channel). I replaced these and hey presto it worked. I always remembered it had an odd tone, kind of lacking in bass, but highly detailed sound at times. In my fevered youth I gave it away The only thing I do know is that the last time I heard the friend I gave it to still uses it as their main amp - she likes retro!

A few years ago I bought this example from Bardwells in Sheffield. Again it had a blown AD149. They had a replacement so I fitted it and it works. It has the same odd tone quality too.

So who were Stern Clyne? I've seen references of a shop in Sheffield? Site in London? What is a "Stern Clyne Sultan"? Was it a kit?

I've attached some piccies and look forward to your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001 re.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	17497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003 re.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	17498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002 re.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	17499  
Old 29th May 2008, 8:34 am   #2
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help indentifying a strange "Stern Clyne" amp

I am sure that you should get better answers than this, I never bought anything Stern Clyne, but they had a shop(s) in either Edgware Road and/ or Tottenham Court Road London. They did plenty of amplifiers, tuners etc. of their own, some based on well known designs, transitor and valve. Think they advertised in Practical Wireless and Hi Fi News. I may try to dig out and old advert. About 3 years ago a guy I bought some B&W DM2s speakers from told me he used to work for Stern Clyne.

Incidentally, I know of Bardwells from about 1971 when I used to live in Sheffield. I only discovered last year that they were still going.

Last edited by mastermanx2001; 29th May 2008 at 8:39 am.
Old 29th May 2008, 8:51 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I remember buying stuff from Stern Clyne in Tottenham Court Road back in the late 1960s. ISTR they had 2 shops within a short distance. I think they were a merger between Stern's Radio and Clyne which may have accounted for the 2 shops. They sold the usual mix of components and surplus kit plus amplifiers etc under their own brand name.

PS: This page, which I'm sure is owned by a member of this forum, has advertisements showing Stern and Clyne separately.
http://vintageradio.me.uk/magazinecvr/surplus.htm
Old 29th May 2008, 9:10 am   #4
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Here is an advert from Jan 1963 Hi Fi News, I have some later adverts in Practical Wireless, but can't get at them at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stern0001.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	17500  
Old 29th May 2008, 11:11 am   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Our church had one of these for years! Used by the kids for good music discos (it was the 70s!) it stood up to everything. Never went wrong.

Good little amp. Wonder where it went?

Anyway, it's like any other amp. Just change any electrolytics and check thourougly before fitting a new O/P transistors. There is a small bit of interesting construction though that caught my eye. Third pic. Fourth knob in - the resistors!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th May 2008, 8:09 pm   #6
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
There is a small bit of interesting construction though that caught my eye. Third pic. Fourth knob in - the resistors!

Cheers,

Steve P.
LOL! Well, you see, that was a quick and dirty mod by me a few years ago.. The volume is slightly low on one channel and as I like to see the balance control in the centre, I kinda modded it

I wonder if the fact it's Germanium transistors that it has the "odd" tonal quality? Nice for classical stuff, but a bit odd if you give it a bit of Prog rock!
Old 29th May 2008, 8:56 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

True about the Prog Rock! But have you tried changing any well placed caps - might help! Do one channel only and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Steve P.