UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2008, 8:14 am   #21
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Leak Stereo 30+ balance control - what does yours do?

I had a later 2000 series amp with a reversed balance control. 'Solved' it by connecting both inputs and output the wrong way round too!
Old 1st Jun 2008, 10:51 pm   #22
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggrus View Post
Mine was normal as well.. until it exploded one very hot day....
Have you fixed it?

Further reports on balance controls:

I recently bought a Leak Stereo 70 described as for spares/ repair for £6.50. Unbelievably it it as virtually as new, working perfectly and has the balance control working in the conventional way.

I also bought the Leak Stereo 70 from Neil (Harvestgold) can confirm he is correct about this ones balance control working "the opposite way to what would be expected".

The amp needed its output stage bias current setting as it was at about half what it should have been. After this the amp sounded very good.

The Stereofetic tuner that came with it (was sold as faulty) was quiet and distorted on one channel, this was traced to a faulty BC184L in the decoder. With a new transistor fitted, the tuner worked very well.

Last edited by mastermanx2001; 1st Jun 2008 at 11:04 pm.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 10:57 pm   #23
Baggrus
Pentode

Unfortunately no.. I used it as a pre amp for a while to drive a pair of TVM pk200 kt88 output pa amps. More than 20 years ago now..(*wish I still had them and the 2 pairs of JBL 100w high scream full range speakers I used to drive with them) The whole lot is long gone to some dump or something after my divorce and time living ethnic on various floors and sofas as a live sound engineer in London.

A side note. I bought a Crown chunk of an amp at a car boot on Sunday for £5. Still waiting to test it. Beer and sunshine has somewhat got in the way this week...

I would still like another leak amp.. The sound was excellent. I think Steve may have seen my 30 as a repair in about 86? I tried a few places looking for the ac140's but no joy at all. Took them out and ran it as a pre amp for about 3 years as strangely the tone controls work on the tape outputs.
Closed Thread