UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:19 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default 4T receiver

Just looking into getting a new 4T receiver, seen on Telephone Lines he does a modern replacement - but the connections are different. Will this mean replacing the spade terminals on the wires in the handset with a female connector?

Thanks!
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:39 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 4T receiver

The one in thta link looks to have 'mini blade' connectors so yes you'll need to replace the spades you already have.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:44 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I suspect those were out of a Statesman or similar.

If you're adept with an iron (and lucky!), you might be able to tack the right style of push-on connector onto the existing tags, then cover everything with heatshrink.

The tinsel wire in curly handset cords are nightmare to re-terminate so I'd try to preserve the spade terminals rather than chop them off.

Alternatively, have you tried requesting a normal 4T here? There are loads about, I'm sure.

Nick.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 7:39 pm   #4
Sparks
Heptode

Unless I'm mistaken, these 'other' 4T inserts look to have an impedance of 600 ohms. I don't know if that is significant technically.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 7:57 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Mini blade" push-on connectors are available easily: your local Halfords will have them. In your situation I'd get a set of mini-blades, then cut the actual spade-part off your eisting tags, leaving the crimp-part of the old spades still attached to the cable [so preserving the existing contact with the 'tinsel']

This is essentially using the crimped part of the old spades as a 'bootlace ferrule' to fit into the mini-blade connectors where the cable would usually go. Then push the crimped-part of the old spade-tags-on-the-ends-of-the-wires into the mini-blade, and crimp. Job done!
Old 21st Mar 2018, 8:56 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I like that idea, G6T.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:22 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
'...these 'other' 4T inserts look to have an impedance of 600 ohms. I don't know if that is significant technically.'
I tried a 'new' plastic 4T from a BT Ambassador against a 'traditional' 4T as used in a 700 series instrument.

* Old receiver: 61.6 Ohms Z @ 1kHz.
* New receiver: 462 Ohms Z @ 1kHz.

The sound of the newer receiver is faint compared to the original in a 746 instrument, where the impedances of the sidetone network are optimised for the original 4T impedance, but is still audible.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread