UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2008, 7:40 pm   #1
Jon Seagrave
Triode

Default Alarmingly buzzing Dansette Major

Hi folks-

Just been given an ancient green 'Dansette Major' by my dad, keen to encourage my new interest in vintage electronics.

I remember it working 30 years ago, but time has taken its toll:

Obvious problems are:

1. the speed selector (which as well as 33/45/78 also includes 16- what the hell is that??) is stuck on 78 and cannot be turned either way.

2. when switched on, after a few moments (when valves warmed up) there is just a very loud and alarming 'buzzing', the volume of which remains constant regardless of knob-twiddling. I have only left it on for a few seconds for fear of explosions!

Any ideas folks?- I'm very new to all of this and not well-versed in technical jargon. I'd appreciate any thoughts and ideas of what might need doing before I take out the screws and cock things up!

Will attic storage have caused any trouble? The rubber mat on the turntable is warped and twisted into an alarming, brittle and completely unusable shape which i can only presume is a result of hot summers in a stifling loft. Would other, more vital parts be affected?

Over to you, chaps
Jon
Old 4th Jun 2008, 9:14 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Alarmingly buzzing Dansette Major

Mechanically, I suspect that the speed selector has seized up due to grease having hardened. It's also probable that the cam gear, located under the turntable, has seized, so a strip down, cleaning and relubrication of the mechanism will be neeeded. Electrically, the main problem is likely to be the reservoir & smoothing Capacitor(a large metal 'can' containing two 16 or 32uf Electrolytics) Best advice is do not operate the player again until it has been checked and repaired.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 9:27 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

I restored one of these although there are quite a few variants. Mine was AC only and used a single EL84 so there are only a few parts to change.

As I recall this was pretty much what mine sounded like. The main problem was the electrolytic can which contained 3 capacitors and had dried out so they no longer worked. You can't buy exact replacements so you will need to use 3 seperate capacitors.

It's in this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...dansette+major
Old 4th Jun 2008, 9:31 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Jon and welcome.

The info from "Livewire" and "PJL" is spot on but if you are new to vintage electronics this link is an excellent place to start.

http://www.vintage-radio.com/

Although the above is a vintage radio site, the amplifier and power supply electronics of your record player will be very much the same as those in a radio. Read the appropriate sections and pay particular attention to the advise on safety.
Old 5th Jun 2008, 9:22 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Seagrave View Post
1. the speed selector (which as well as 33/45/78 also includes 16- what the hell is that??)
'16' is exactly what it suggests - a record speed.

For your interest and as it's off-topic for this thread, I refer you here.
Old 5th Jun 2008, 9:33 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Where equipment uses a can containing 3 electrolytic capcitors I have often used a dual electrolytic(available from Savoy Hill publications and other suppliers)for the reservoir and smoothing caps., fitting a suitable axial or radial type under the chassis to replace the third cap., which can be either the output valve cathode bypass, or a second HT smoothing cap.(not sure which it is in the Dansette Major)
Old 5th Jun 2008, 1:18 pm   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Alarmingly buzzing Dansette Major

Hi Jon
This is the place to be to get things repaired, as well as the spot on advice above it is worth taking notes and sketches as you dismantle things, and photos if you have a camera, as it is almost gauranteed you will not remember where everything goes back The control does sound as if it has seized, it might respond to some penetrating oil though usually the various bushes and levers have to be taken off to get to the seized part, this is a good opportunity to lubricate all the moving parts.

The main electrolytics seemed to have gone open circuit but at least the loud buzz shows the amplifier is working. The values are not to critical and modern components can be fitted but get the polarity correct, plus to plus minus to minus.

Always LOOK at the wall plug before working to make sure you have removed it from the mains socket, it is easy to overlook that a unit still has power going to it when taking things apart, after doing that do it again to make sure

regards

Geof
Old 6th Jun 2008, 10:56 am   #8
Jon Seagrave
Triode

Cheers everyone... will commence the strip-down next week and will undoubtedly ask advice as I go- I'm a complete novice, but keen! Jon
Closed Thread