UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2018, 8:21 pm   #1
Cobaltblue

Default Is everthing that looks like a camera a camera?

On the Smartmeter thread it was starting to move away to other tracking methods.

I was going to let someone else start this thread but I though I am in that industry why not start it.

So as previously mentioned not everything that looks like a camera is not a camera thats true.

Secondly many cameras anonomalise data they are designed for JTMS (journey time measurement) not for tracking.

There are devices that capture the bluetooth or wifi from your phone for the same reason.

So lets open ther debate

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th May 2018, 8:47 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Is everthing that looks like a camera a camera?

Thought I would add a few definitions of the cameras you do need to worry about.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) outstation – a high security cabinet containing a tamper and environmental monitoring unit, ancillary services and ANPR camera for capturing vehicle data.

Evidence Retrieval and Control Unit (ERCU) – collects passage data, checks for speed violations across a link and produces encrypted Violation Records when a speed violation is detected. Futhermore, the ERCU will also manage ANPR outstations and collect diagnostic data.

Offence Viewing and Decision System (OVDS) – provides database review station to view, verify and store offence data and to process offences to the back-office.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:11 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Oh and in case you think this isn't vintage a lot of this stuff goes back 40 years and more.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:26 pm   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

Such topics can only (inevitably?) end up as political discussions, outwith the permission of the forum.

All I can offer is that I've heard (but cannot confirm) that many so-called speed cameras are empty boxes but if there was a genuine need to reduce accidents then such 'fakery' should be more common rather than being disguised in a fashion that can only be declared as 'revenue-gathering machines'.

See what I mean about it being (inevitably) 'political'?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:31 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Cobaltblue, Is there anything in the public domain that shows the track of a vehicle during a days motoring as the police would see it if they punched your reg in.

The overlay of Bluetooth IDs is an obvious reality, but I wonder how joined-up it all is, but I suppose the answer must be it's more sophisticated than most of us imagine.

Whilst interesting, none the definitions and acronyms of the various systems preclude their use in tracking should the need arise.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:42 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Sorry folks, but this is completely off topic for the forum.
Closed Thread