UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2017, 1:18 pm   #1
CurlyCord
Retired Dormant Member

Default Britphone.com closed? (Actually britphone.net).

I have been using www.britphone.net to purchase 700 series phone spares cases, leads etc. The site has been down for months now. Has it closed for good?
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 1:26 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Britphone.com Closed ?

I would imagine so. They also sold via e-Bay and all their listing were ended at once.

It would be interesting to know of an alternative supplier as I'm not aware of anybody else selling new plastic parts, apart from a few odd NOS ones.
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 1:27 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This is sad.

GPOSpares has also fallen by the wayside.

N.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:16 pm   #4
giraffenigel
Tetrode

The only reason they closed the site was because someone reported them to PayPal for selling counterfeit parts as they were advertised as GPO/BT and were new parts not made by these companies.
This was done by either a rival seller or some busybody who doesn't approve of excellent reproduction parts being added to old telephones.
I was in contact with one of the people that ran Britphones a few months ago and he was trying to resolve the issue with PayPal and hoped to be up and running again by now but it looks like they are still having problems.
It was someone amongst the vintage telephone community who has ruined it for the rest of us I'm afraid
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:32 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

What a shame, though I suppose advertising things as genuine when they're in fact excellent repros is sailing rather close to the wind. I hope they do manage to sort something out.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:44 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Not my subject so I haven't bought from them, but I think I would be annoyed if parts were sold as genuine old parts but were modern replicas. If the new parts are as good as the originals, sell then openly as such and people would be happy buyers.
Andy
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:44 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenigel View Post
The only reason they closed the site was because someone reported them to PayPal for selling counterfeit parts as they were advertised as GPO/BT and were new parts not made by these companies.
This was done by either a rival seller or some busybody who doesn't approve of excellent reproduction parts being added to old telephones.
I was in contact with one of the people that ran Britphones a few months ago and he was trying to resolve the issue with PayPal and hoped to be up and running again by now but it looks like they are still having problems.
It was someone amongst the vintage telephone community who has ruined it for the rest of us I'm afraid
And what about the outfit that claim to sell 'GPO Telephones' because they attach a label to them with a slightly modified version of the old General Post Office's 'lozenge' logo which they have trademarked as theirs. See https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tm.../4/EU008634693

Now they stick the logo on all sorts of products and claim to be 'the official supplier' !! http://www.gporetro.com/products/fil...ogue_lores.pdf

The original trademark was registered by Royal Mail PLC . See https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tm.../UK00002550026 Unfortunately Royal Mail didn't include telephones on their list of products/services
Old 4th Dec 2017, 1:49 pm   #8
giraffenigel
Tetrode

They didn't advertise them as being original, it was the fact that they used GPO in their listings to explain what their purpose was for.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 2:01 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Sorry, I misunderstood you. In which case, that's just unfair.

Pattern parts are sold for all kinds of things using the original manufacturer's name for reference.

N.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 3:01 pm   #10
Station X

As the OP's question has been answered I'll close this thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 12:59 pm   #11
Station X

We have been advised by Andy Lloyd the owner of Britphone that the website is not closed.

The correct url is:-

https://www.britphone.net/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread