UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2021, 10:31 pm   #61
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Seeking a Cornish Dealer from the past

Hi Peter, I believe the radio licence covered it pre-war, but there was a TV licence in 1946, presumably when TV broadcasting started again. I'm not sure what information is available, but if anything is, it could be cross referenced, say with a surname and area? I would think your set would have been in use post war, as a TV was still a rare thing in the 50's where i came from!
Tony
Old 25th Feb 2021, 12:20 am   #62
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks Tony,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify Michael Scott's father (if he was the London area owner) and Scott is just too common a name. Searching Ancestry I can find quite a few Michael Scotts in Cornwall of about the right age but I couldn't find a father who had lived in London.

If my wife's memory of Michael Scott receiving the set from his father is a myth then the other possible London owner might be the gentleman who Mike remembers as having sold a similar set in the late 1970s to a dealer in Redruth (Mr Delves). Although Mr Delves is dead, Lawrence suggested a Facebook route to make contact with the Delves family. Whilst I have made contact with his daughter and she will contact other family members this route has also drawn a blank so far.

Peter
Old 25th Feb 2021, 11:42 am   #63
ms660
Dekatron

If someone had sold a TV to Mr Delves they wouldn't have got much for it.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 2:01 pm   #64
peter_scott
Dekatron

I think Mike's recollection was that the Mr Delves set was part of a deceased house clearance.

Peter
Old 25th Feb 2021, 2:20 pm   #65
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
I think Mike's recollection was that the Mr Delves set was part of a deceased house clearance.
That would make sense as a lot of stuff that Mr. Delves had in his emporium was from house clearances, the real gems he kept in his house, he showed me around in there once, everyone in the area knew him, there was another secondhand dealer in Redruth back then that I used to visit, can't remember his name though, his emporium was on St. Day Road, at the beginning heading East out of town, in the building where Heath & Arnold is on sat. street view.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread