UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2021, 11:25 am   #1
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Default Majestic Low Boy Update

You may recall that I was trying to restore a 1931 Majestic which had many faulty wound components - sadly I finally gave up having spent much time (and money) trying various solutions, none of which worked satisfactorily. I regret that I gave in, but needs must and I scrapped the chassis and sold off those good parts I had to defray costs. In the end I recouped about 50% of my initial outlay. I could not justify dumping the cabinet - a fine example of 1930's American low boys so I committed another sin and turned it into a Bluetooth speaker with FM radio, auxilliary & USB inputs.
This was accomplished using a cheap BT/FM module, modified to fit into a slightly enlarged dial "window", along with a tone controlled preamp and a 5W amplifier. I'm pleased to say this works fine and gives the cabinet a new life.
Sorry if my actions upset some members, but sometimes one just has to give up on a proper restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	247369   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	247370  
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:27 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Majestic Low Boy Update

I think you've apologised quite enough. So given what you have now, what kind of speaker did you fit - there looks to be room for an 8" or 10" driver?
Old 6th Dec 2021, 2:53 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Colin,

A nice usable thing, and you've no doubt done the modern electronics well. Did you retain the original LS or was it not a PM one? Presumably, the dual mains transformers are to prevent digital hash getting into the AF amplifier section?

I think if it were mine, I'd have kept the original chassis in situ for historic reasons, and fitted the "modern" chassis elsewhere in the roomy cabinet, and done it in a reversible way, but I appreciate you wanted to recoup some of your costs.

N.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:05 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Much better than chucking it in a skip, and at least you've made a nice job of it.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:51 pm   #5
Colin Boggis
Pentode

The original speaker was energised so not used. I economised yet again, and used 4 small speakers I had lying around in a series/parallel arrangement to get back to 4 ohms overal. They are on a custom baffle board.

The 2 transformers were necessary because the preamplifier required positive & negative supplies whilst the power amp did not and they were different voltages. To avoid noise issues I used a B0505S isolated PSU to feed the Bluetooth unit.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 4:46 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

BTW, what do people think about fixing mains transformers directly to a wooden (or similar) base?

It was certainly common practice in many 1970s/1980s music systems, and presumably your transformers have integral thermal fuses, but might it be a theoretical fire hazard? I'm not trying to suggest that you've done anything that's not entirely sensible and safe, but merely asking the question because it's something I've sometimes done myself... and then worried about!

As for the multiple small speakers, how do they sound? If ever something else turned up, it would be fairly trivial to cut another baffle board and fit that. I've had good results with 8" units rescued from middle-of-the-road music centre speakers (the kind of thing that you're left with after improving an old system with proper hifi speakers).
Old 6th Dec 2021, 5:33 pm   #7

Quote:
what do people think about fixing mains transformers directly to a wooden (or similar) base?
No problem, the ignition point of wood is quite a bit more than the awful smell of a hot transformer. I think thermal fuses are a good idea in a small closed box, open air the tranny will fail on its own.

Old 6th Dec 2021, 5:45 pm   #8

Silly idea (I do a lot of those) I may have done an LCD replicating a tuning dial (the small window type) controlled from encoders and driving a DAB/FM receiver all from an Arduino. DAB/FM add ons with all the libraries for the software are available. I would love making it, trying it and then listening to radio on my Hacker.

Some people spend a few hundred quid doing nothing for a week (package holiday), I spend a bit and do loads for a week, much more fun.

Last edited by Guest; 6th Dec 2021 at 5:46 pm. Reason: sense!

Closed Thread