UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2019, 12:21 am   #1
Decca RG150
Diode

Smile BSR Monarch record spindle stuck

Hi everyone, I'm recomissioning a 1962 Decca RG150 Stereogram. I had one as a young lad. It's in lovely unmarked condition and I've now serviced/lubricated the BSR Monarch deck to cure the slow auto changer.

The record stacking spindle is stuck in place in the centre of the turntable and won't hold records as the pawl that supports the records is stuck "in".
From memory, the spindle should just pull out. Am I right?

It's stuck fast so I was going to use penetrating oil around its base and maybe heat from a heat gun to free it. I could always lift the deck and tap it from underneath.

The radio works well on both MW and LW and none of the rotary switches crackle after being used for a bit.

How do I date it? My sister seems to think that our dad bought his one new around 1962. Mine has the plastic badge with the word "Monarch" front, right of the deck but another RG150 that I have, doesn't. Which one is older?

Hoping someone can help me.

Pete
Old 10th Jul 2019, 9:13 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Monarch record spindle stuck

To help you with the dating of this, your Radiogram was made in 1962. As to the badging, it uses a BSR UA14 autochanger. Some of these were made with the "Monarch" badge on the metal baseplate and some were not. Your Radiogram was only in production for around 18 months and was the entry level radiogram of the then Decca range.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 10:30 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

I don't think the spindle on this deck was made to be lifted out. I think you'll find that there is a screw holding it in, which is located in the central pillar. Once you have removed the turntable, you will see it.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 11:58 am   #4
regentone001
Heptode

It depends which model BSR deck is fitted, a photo would help. If it is a UA8 then there is a screw through the centre pillar and spindle holding it in. If it is a UA12 or UA14 then there is a wire spring at the base of the centre pillar under the deck which you compress to release the spindle.
Steve
Old 10th Jul 2019, 10:12 pm   #5
Decca RG150
Diode

Thanks for all the responses. I was led to believe that it was made in 1962.
It is a UA14 deck so that means I need to lift the deck out of the cabinet to get to the spring clip to release the spindle? No problem, I'll do that tomorrow.

I'm actually repairing another RG150 which I'm going to give to my older sister as she was there when our dad bought his. I know they're not worth much but mine brings back so many memories of the 1970's when dad used to stack it full of Al Jolson LP's. When it became mine in the late 70's, I stacked it high with hand-me-down 60's 45's!

I just looked at my spare UA14 deck. I see the hairpin type spring clip underneath. How do you post a picture on here please?
Old 11th Jul 2019, 8:23 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To post pictures on the forum, click the 'Go Advanced' tab under the 'Quick Reply' Box. This opens a new window with provision to upload pictures. With regard to the stuck 'record keeper', which is the correct term for the movable part at the top of the stacking spindle - this should be free to move and easy to push inwards & upwards with a finger. Possibly the top part of the spindle has become bent. Comparing it with a working one of the same type should show what is wrong.
Closed Thread