UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2018, 8:53 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Question Co-ax Cable used in DAB Radios.

Admittedly I haven't checked all possible sources, but does anyone know of a supplier of lengths of the small-diameter RF Co-ax cable used in DAB radios to connect the telescopic aerial or 'F'-type socket to the RF Module?
Old 11th Jul 2018, 2:16 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Dekatron

Default Re: Co-ax Cable used in DAB Radios.

Any miniature 75 ohm coax should do the job.
Old 11th Jul 2018, 4:03 pm   #3
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

I thought that DAB radios where 50 ohm.
Old 11th Jul 2018, 4:28 pm   #4
michamoo
Hexode

Screened microphone cable would do well enough for that job.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 8:43 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

I've now ordered a metre of miniature 50 ohm cable from an ebay supplier, but once in the past i did use a length of microphone cable for this purpose. The radio in question worked well with this substitute, although the impedance was probably wrong. Given that less than 5" of mic. cable was involved, the Z-mismatch was no doubt irrelevant anyway
Old 12th Jul 2018, 8:59 am   #6
Nymrod121
Octode

Aww ... darn it. I have plenty of this type of cable and could have sent you a piece for twice the square root of 'not a lot' (to misquote a certain limerick )

I've done the same thing with a Tevion DAB/FM receiver (ex-Aldi) and a Matsui 'DAB-1' adaptor (Paul Stenning, take a bow ) .

(O.T. swerve here: when used with an external antenna, the Tevion's FM sensitivity and selectivity both seem surprisingly good. I use it as a DX set in the workshop - it's fed from my refurbished Fuba UKA Stereo 8 antenna ... That's it - thanks, mods)

Best wishes
Guy
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:14 am   #7
Nymrod121
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I thought that DAB radios where 50 ohm.
Domestic receivers tend to be equipped with 75 ohm coaxial connectors (or 300 ohm ribbon sockets/thumbscrew terminals for VHF-FM). Professional test equipment and some lab-grade receivers would be 50 ohm.

Another O.T. alert ...

'In A Previous Life', antenna system impedance vs. receiver input impedance was often a contentious issue arising between a certain broadcasting organisation's Transmitter and Studio Capital Projects departments and their joint Customers in Local Radio stations. LR engineering staff would often query the installation of professional-grade off-air TV/VHF-FM reception antenna systems (whose system impedance was always 50 ohm as standard i.e. Jaybeam et al) being connected to in-building off-air signal distribution systems/receivers which were invariably 'high-end domestic'-grade having a 75 ohm input impedance.

"Oh, the hours we had to spend, before we mastered it in the end" (misquoting Flanders & Swann: 'An Ill Wind')

At this point, Radio Wrangler may well offer his thoughts on how input impedance vs. optimum noise factor can often conspire against the concept of perfect impedance matching re. a receiver input ... over to you, David

Guy

Last edited by Nymrod121; 12th Jul 2018 at 9:20 am. Reason: a reflection (non-RF) regarding receiver input impedance vs NF
Old 12th Jul 2018, 10:30 am   #8
mark2collection
Pentode

RG316 was the stuff I used, in a fairly recent DAB repair.

Looked just like the original too.

Mark
Closed Thread