UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 16th Apr 2024, 12:21 pm   #1
lkingscott
Diode

Default Pre War Bush speaker cloth

Hi everyone, first time post.

I own 2 Bush SAC-35 wirelesses from the 1930s. I restored one of them about 25 years ago and was lucky in that one of them had intact speaker cloth, but unfortunately my kittens decided they needed to attack it.

Recently I found a company that can print cloth from any photographs, so I took pictures and scans of the cloth, digitally expanded the good areas and got some reproduction cloth.

The first attempt was not detailed enough and a bit too coppery, but looks good anyway. The second attempt is too dull, but much more detailed.

I'm planning on a 3rd attempt, to get the best of both attempts so far, so I have plenty of spare cloth, which I am prepared to sell for cost, if anyone is interested.

I attach a picture of the first attempt, fitted loosely to the SAC-35, with the original draped over so you can se the difference. Also a clip of the scan sent for printing the second attempt, which shows better detail.

Note that the check pattern is straight, but you need to carefully stretch the cloth when fitting. I just loosely attached it to get an impression in the photo.

The new cloth is a light silk satin, so it has some sheen, but the light weight allows sound through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240406_120546r.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	296437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	296438  
lkingscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 8:45 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Pre War Bush speaker cloth

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That is a stunning example of the Bush.

If you decide to sell some of your surplus cloth please start a new thread here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=27

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 3:11 pm   #3
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

A couple of years ago I purchased some woven place mats from BM bargains which were very similar to the above check pattern. I have successfully used them on various sets.
Pilot Mariner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2024, 1:53 am   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Welcome to the forum!

How does it compare to the original cloth in texture? It certainly looks very good, but if the original design was woven rather than printed, and you're interested in getting it back to original, there are some further options.

Members have had success with Ben Dijkman, whose loudspeaker cloth section is here.

Corrien Maas, also in the Netherlands, weaves reproduction cloth to order, and has a link towards the bottom of the page of patterns she has done before. If she doesn't have yours, and you sent her a sample, she could copy it.

I expect there are more, even in this very niche occupation, but those two sprang to mind since I'd seen reference to them recently while browsing on here.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2024, 5:05 pm   #5
lkingscott
Diode

Obviously the texture is plain silk satin as the pattern is not woven into it.

However, I have looked at a lot of other speaker cloth options and decided that I'd prefer as close as possible to the original pattern, rather than something which just looked the right period.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 9:34 am   #6
lkingscott
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

That is a stunning example of the Bush.

If you decide to sell some of your surplus cloth please start a new thread here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=27

Cheers

Mike T
Many thanks, I will post there.

I got the electronics more or less working in the 1970s, but the volume remained low and as a teenager I replaced a lot of the wire with crappy PVC insulated wires.

I didn't do a proper restauration until the late 90s, when I stripped and French polished the case and sorted many of the out of spec passive components. A friend also gave me some vintage appearance wire, normally used on vintage cars, so the speaker and other internal wiring looks like new now.

Unfortunately the original knobs were lost between the 70s and 90s, but I found another identical model for sale in much worse condition, so the knobs are exactly right, just not the ones which came with that particular wireless when new.

I'm now getting keen on doing something with the other one. I don't need another working MW/LW wireless, but I'll remove and keep the chassis, which still has the 3 RF valves, but no diode and pentode, for spares. After restoring the case, I think I'll install a RPi with amplifier and some open source Alexa equivalent. Ovos looks interesting among others. I found a touch screen which almost exactly fits the dial area and a 3D printed bezel could easily be fitted. Most of the knobs are a bit superfluous, but I can 3D print some knobs to make it look right. A power / volume knob is all that would be needed, but a jog dial knob might be useful. One of the knobs could contain a microphone for the voice assistant.

As the case is so large, the rest of the space could contain a 'secret' cupboard, accessible from behind!

Anyway, a few ideas
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 2:33 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingscott View Post
However, I have looked at a lot of other speaker cloth options and decided that I'd prefer as close as possible to the original pattern, rather than something which just looked the right period.
Yes, the options I mentioned can weave the cloth to match a sample you send them so you could have texture, colour and pattern back to original if you so desired. I'm not trying to knock your smart way of getting a visual match, but didn't know if you were aware that there are people who can make fabric basically identical to the original.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2024, 9:04 am   #8
lkingscott
Diode

Many thanks, if Corrien's prices are OK, then I'll get some made. The original is quite unusual and the pattern and weave makes it look quite 3D, very art deco, although the fabric is quite flat.

I will try another iteration of the printing if weaving is not possible. The first was too copper coloured, but has great sheen. However the original photo resolution didn't capture the art deco 3D pattern. The second just looks too dull. 3rd time lucky maybe!