UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2007, 10:13 pm   #1
matthewhouse
Octode

Default Replacing a linecord resistor.

Hello,
I may be getting an Alba C112 midget radio to repair soon, I have seen a photograph, and I have got the service information. The main concern I have is the resistance line cord, the photograph shows what looks to be normal flat twin pvc flex, so the radio may have been modified before, (or just had the old flex replaced with a normal one ). The main question I have is can a capacitive dropper be fitted in the usual way? Usually the dropper runs the heater chain and HT comes direct from the mains. Looking at the diagram it shows the dropper runs the whole radio. I used Paul's dropper calculator to get the required capacitor and surge limiting resistor values (2.03uF 100 Ohms) The result in the resistance part of the calculator came to the exact value of the line cord (680 Ohms) (This I assume proves that the values I entered were correct?) I used 100mA as the heater current but wouldn't this be more supplying the whole radio? (100mA heaters + everything else?), requiring a bigger capacitor? Or should I just stop worrying and just fit it, running it up slowly, with a voltmeter connected to the heaters to check the voltage is correct, and then adjust the capacitor(s) / resistor accordingly? Any other points to note gratefully received. Fitting a resistor is out of the question due to the tiny cabinet.

Thanks,
Matty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resistance%20cord.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	11574  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 1:54 pm.
Old 14th Mar 2007, 10:33 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Alba C112 Resistance line cord

Hi Matty, in theory you cannot use the cap dropper to supply the HT as it is DC.
In practice the HT current is much less than the heater current and it works!

I have done a few sets this way, I normally calculate for the total HT and heater current and add balancing resistors of a few 10's of Ohms in both circuits as necessary to get close to the exact figure.

Ed
Old 16th Mar 2007, 7:16 pm   #3
matthewhouse
Octode

Thanks for your reply Ed, I will see how it goes when the set arrives, I am told that the flex is standard oval black PVC.

Cheers
Matty

Last edited by matthewhouse; 16th Mar 2007 at 7:16 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 17th Mar 2007, 9:39 am   #4
paul dawson
Diode

Hello Matthew.
I have an Alba C112 and use a 2.2uF Capacitor to sort the supply out. The radio runs fine and at the correct voltages.
PLEASE DO NOT USE A RESISTIVE DROPPER WITH THIS SET!!!
Firstly there is 'little to no room' to place such a component and secondly the extra heat generated would almost certainly damage that rather thin, fragile looking plastic case.
You can hide the capacitor underneath quite easily and thus maintain the original appearence of the chassis.
These little sets, when correctly restored, perform very well for their size and are a bonus to anybodys collection.
I hope this may be of help to you.
Regards, Paul Dawson.
Old 17th Mar 2007, 1:17 pm   #5
matthewhouse
Octode

Thanks for the information Paul, now I know it can easily be done. No I definitely wouldn't even think of using a resistive dropper inside this tiny radio!! I should have it by next weekend. Somebody may have already done this mod as the old flex has been changed.

Many thanks,
Matty
Old 17th Mar 2007, 6:30 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul dawson View Post
Hello Matthew.
I have an Alba C112 and use a 2.2uF Capacitor to sort the supply out.
Just for clarification, this is a motor capacitor or similar AC rated capacitor - not an electrolytic!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Mar 2007, 10:18 pm   #7
paul dawson
Diode

Hello again Matthew.

Just to clarify, this capacitor is certainly not an electrolytic !!!
The required value (including voltage grade) is easily obtainable.
If you have problems finding one, let me know and I will sort you one out.
However, what you must remember is to use a suitable resistor in series to protect this beautiful little midget from any undue harm.
This is incase, in the unlikely event, the dropper capacitor short circuits and dies.
Let the resistor take the strain and not your valves!!!
I'm sure you knew this already...
Kind regards and please let me know how you get on...

Paul Dawson.

Last edited by paul dawson; 17th Mar 2007 at 10:39 pm.
Old 17th Mar 2007, 11:06 pm   #8
matthewhouse
Octode

Thanks for the warnings Paul and Paul, I am aware of the capacitor type and to fit an appropriate series resistor. This was well explained in Paul Stennings useful guide to capacitive droppers. I will let you know how I get on, or if I get stuck.

Many thanks for your help,
Matty
Old 26th Mar 2007, 9:46 pm   #9
matthewhouse
Octode

It arrived today, the flex is PVC which replaced the line dropper, a rheostat style dropper has been fitted above chassis on a crudely cut metal plate, where the smoothing can should be, this dropper is so tall it scrapes the top of the cabinet when the chassis is fitted. Another resistor is hanging off one of the dropper terminals. The wiring near these resistors is scorched, it is amazing that the cabinet has survived this heat. The quality of the 'repair' is poor at best, yet a fair bit of effort has been put into it. (Just no common sense) One of the smoothing caps is positioned right next to the dropper too. I have ordered replacement caps, and a dropper cap and I'll see how it goes. I need to source a replacement speaker before I go too far tho.

Matty
Closed Thread