UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2019, 11:39 am   #1
Dazmond
Hexode

Default Beogram 1000 help needed

I'm tearing my hair out with a Beogram 1000 turntable and I wondered if anybody could help.

Usual symptoms of running slow, so far I have stripped, cleaned a re lubricated the idler mechanism, strip down the motor and boiled the bearings in oil and it's also had a new belt. I've done one of these before and this has sorted it.

However it still runs slow at all speeds, but I am convinced it is something to do with the positioning of the idler on the motor pulley.

The pitch control works fine, twiddling the knob raises and lowers the pulley as it should, but looking at the way it all operates there seems to be no difference in the position of the idler if I select either 16rpm or 33rpm, the rest seem fine if perhaps a little low down the pulley.

Also when I select 78 the idler doesn't retract far enough away from the large diameter of the pulley before moving up and just sits under the edge of it instead.

If I lift the idler up slightly during playback so it rides up each respective section of the pulley the speed is perfect.

I'm sure the above is all related but I'm at my wits end with it, I must be missing something has anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:09 am   #2
Max Ripple
Pentode

Default Re: Beogram 1000 help needed

Is your's the early version BG1000,with the big round motor coils, or the later one with smaller(Bogen) motor assembly?
I can't remember with the early version, but certainly the later one used to suffer with the speed selector assembly being seized on its shaft.
There is a plastic outer piece which makes the coarse change between speeds and the inner thin shaft for fine adjustment, but the whole assembly is meant to swing away from the motor pulley (clearing the 78 step) when changing speed, which it can't do if the shaft it pivots on is seized.

Nick
Old 21st Jul 2019, 12:34 pm   #3
Dazmond
Hexode

It's the later one with the Bogen motor assembly, I've already stripped the speed selector down and cleaned it up as you rightly say it was seized up solid.

It's weird it's a though the motor is sitting low or something I don't know, plus I don't understand why the idler sits at the same position when I choose 16 or 33...

it's a real head scratcher :S
Old 21st Jul 2019, 1:01 pm   #4
Max Ripple
Pentode

How many steps are there on the conical boss on the motor spindle? Is it an original turntable drive belt?

The speed change mech raises and lowers the idler wheel by slotting into the boss of the wheel, but whole mech has to swing out to clear the conical motor boss when changing speed.

I wonder if the belt is too tight? Many "direct replacement" belts are anything but, sadly!

Nick
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 7:47 am   #5
Dazmond
Hexode

It's a possibility, although I did have the same issues with the original belt which is why I bought the replacement.

Well here's the thing, there are 4 steps, but the first two (16 & 33) seem visually almost identical which I find pretty strange, there doesn't seem to be any wear on them either.

The idler is swinging out but not by much, I don't know its as though there is something missing?
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 9:05 am   #6
Max Ripple
Pentode

Can you post a photo of the motor assembly?
Nick
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 12:10 am   #7
Michael Maurice

the original belts had a lot of elasticity as well as grip, most modern belts do not have this feature.

Where did you buy your belt from? if you dont want to say in public, send me a PM.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 8:34 am   #8
Dazmond
Hexode

Hi guys thank you for this I will get back to you today on the photos.

Michael I bought it from a popular auction site, I went with one of the more expensive options to be sure it was decent, - 'Improved Silicone Belt for Bang & Olufsen Beogram'

I originally changed it as it ran slow with the old belt, are you thinking there could be a different issue entirely?

Thanks,

Darren.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:49 am   #9
Dazmond
Hexode

Hi Folks,

I've attached some photos of the mechanism, let me know if you need anymore from other angles.

Thanks,

Darren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0287.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	187212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0288.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	187213  
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 11:54 pm   #10
Michael Maurice

Check the new belt for elasticity. Check it against the old belt if you can. It should be very elastic in other words you should be able to stretch it without too much effort, if you cant then that might be the issue.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 24th Jul 2019, 8:31 am   #11
Max Ripple
Pentode

All seems to be in order there,but I too am still suspicious of the turntable belt.
If it's too tight it will slow the motor too of course.There isn't much torque available.

I may have another belt or at least a salvaged one,which I can send if you'd like to try it?

Nick
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:57 am   #12
Dazmond
Hexode

I've just tried the old belt, she still runs slow (but I would say not as slow) but the idler now clears the pulley on all speeds.

Nick I would love to try it if that's ok with you? happy to pay postage for it.

Thanks,

Darren.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 7:57 pm   #13
Max Ripple
Pentode

That's good news. It does seem to be functioning correctly now at least, but it seems that the motor is still running slow, which is a common problem with all this generation of B&O decks which use the Bogen motor.

The Oilite bearings are porous (sintered bronze?) so need to be fully soaked in (the correct) oil to function correctly. You may need to soak them in something like nail varnish remover(overnight) to remove all old congealed oil residue, before relubricating. The top and bottom bearings need to be aligned too, they may not necessarily self align when running.

I'll explore and find a belt and PM you in due course, but it seems as though the original belt is still serviceable?

Nick
Old 25th Jul 2019, 7:36 am   #14
Dazmond
Hexode

I will have another look at it, I did boil the bearings in oil and this has worked in the past, the motor does spin quite freely too.

But yes the original belt looks ok, it can only be the motor I guess?

Thank you for your help so far!

Darren.