UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2012, 11:27 pm   #1
Honigstrauss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beolit 1000 pushbutton removal.

I recently acquired one of these sets and have set about restoring it. The metalwork is badly oxidised and that is the main focus of my efforts. I took the dial surround off so that I could start work on it. I started using Meguiars metal polish which I had had experience of and had found to be a fairly mild relatively non-abrasive polish.

However it was starting to give an almost chrome-like finish which is not appropriate for this set. I then moved on to 1200 grade wet and dry together with soapy water. This was better but still a bit shiny so I'll probably try 800 grade to get more of an original-looking brushed effect. I'm also planning to tape it to the work surface with a piece of wood clamped almost like a cutting fence on a table saw and then run the piece to be finished along the wood guide so that any visible marks in the metal are parallel to each other and the sides of the piece. We'll see how that turns out!

However, the purpose of this post is to see if anyone can help me with removing the selector buttons. I have tried pulling and prising but am reluctant to try too hard for fear of doing any damage. Has anyone removed these on one of these sets before?

I want to attach the buttons and knobs to my Dremel - not all at the same time! - and clean them up that way, again to get a more uniform machined finish. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've attached a couple of photos of the offending area! Thank you. Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0168.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	68509   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0169.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	68510   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0170.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	68511   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0172.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	68512  
Old 11th Jul 2012, 11:26 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Beolit 1000 pushbutton removal.

I suspect they may be glued on try warming them with your soldering iron.

Mick.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 3:10 pm   #3
Honigstrauss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Beolit 1000 pushbutton removal.

Thank you. I've just downloaded a service manual for the Beolit 1000 and that's the recommended method on there too. Shame there are 10 of them!!!
Closed Thread