UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2007, 8:22 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Sobell type 516; cabinet finish.

Hello everyone

My neighbour upon hearing about my interest in vintage electronics delved into his garage and kindly gave me the above set. Luckily its also never been touched or 'modified' in any way. Hence the extremly dangerous rubber mains cable (whats left of it).
The case is made of bakerlite and has a french polish effect paint on top, that is now peeling off the bakerlite case. How can i achieve a similar effect, as all the finish is going to have to be stripped back. Also what type of paint should i use ? Im guessing i use a base coat then apply a top coat, then brush over to make the polish effect. What do you all think ?

Mike Burton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell516 021.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	14246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell516 022.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	14247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell516 025.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	14248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell516 026.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	14249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell516 018.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	14250  

Old 31st Dec 2007, 12:42 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Sobell type 516

Thats a nice set .
you could strip and just polish it as brown bakalite ,that may be the best option.
it looks simlar to a large sobel set ,which i think is wooden
Old 31st Dec 2007, 12:44 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'd do the same, i.e. just strip it and see what it looks like, and if it's ok, polish it. Trying to recreate the original finish would probably end up messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
what make is it? it looks simlar to a large sobel set ,which is wooden
...see the thread title and 4th pic I agree with you that it seems to have a better-known wooden brother.

Nick.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 11:13 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
The case is made of bakerlite and has a french polish effect paint on top
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'French polish' effect? From your photos, it looks like it's, originally, been painted a light brown

If you can find a similar colour of aerosol paint, from Halfords etc, then I'd strip and respray it. Failing that I'd do what the other guys suggest and polish up the bakelite

David
Old 31st Dec 2007, 1:00 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I rather like this [bakelite] set design although the colour scheme seems dull by modern standards and why cover brown bakelite with a brown finish? I think the answer may be the post war gloom. "Scumble" brown varnish, paint finishes were a household "improvement" feature. My father used to do them. Perhaps the "french polish" effect was aimed in the same direction. I'd stick with the bakelite if it polishes up nicely. Dave
Old 31st Dec 2007, 5:44 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'French polish' effect? From your photos, it looks like it's, originally, been painted a light brown

David
Looks like that to me as well, David. Might be difficult to get whatever is on it removed without damaging the bakelite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
[ ... ] "Scumble" brown varnish, paint finishes were a household "improvement" feature.
Dave
Scumble, in case no-one has encountered it, was, and is, used for graining; it is a matt semi-translucent paint that needed to have a varnish painted over it.
Might be a useful thing for wood cabinet restoration if done properly, but definitely not a good idea for bakelite!