UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2007, 8:51 am   #1
mikea01
Triode

Default Philips 170A Cabinet

Hi, I am at the final stages of restoring a Philips 170A radio and am now working on the cabinet. There are two painted strips on the front, one above the the speaker grille cloth and one below it. My strips are badly flaked and faded and I can't tell whether they were meant to be gold or a cream colour. Looking at pictures on the web, it is also very hard to tell. Can anyone help here please?
Thanks
Mike
Old 6th Dec 2007, 12:18 pm   #2
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: Philips 170A Cabinet

Hi Mike - Philips used both "white" and "cream" for these reliefs, depending on the set and the production date. The 170A's as far as all the examples I 've seen are the latter. I found the Humbrol yellow paint # 7 is quite a good match.
If it looks too "new" apparently it can be aged by rubbing with used Tea bags, although I have never quite found the will to try this out.
Clear out all the old paint first and then clean with alcohol to esnure good adhesion. Keep the lines very fine and don't allow the paint to come out of the grooves onto the front edge, otherwies the lines look "sloppy". There were never painted lines around the control knobs, so don't be tempted !

Andy

PS Luvverly set !
Old 6th Dec 2007, 1:45 pm   #3
mikea01
Triode

Default Re: Philips 170A Cabinet

Hi Andy,

thanks for that. In that case, I have only just last night nitromorsed my diffuser plate and resprayed it with Plasti-Kote cream colour as it really was in a poor state with large areas of paint missing. It looks quite good now. I might use the remainder of this paint for the decorative lines. And yes you are absolutely right, painted control knobs do not look right.

Mike
Closed Thread