UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2018, 7:33 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Anyone still use a Twintub?

I have a colleague who has admitted to still owning a Servis twin tub washing machine and in fact still uses it to wash overalls and other old stuff like boots n bits .
Does anyone else still use one in anger?
Old 4th Dec 2018, 7:57 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone still use a Twintub?

I know someone who has an old twintub (brand not disclosed) in her stable, used to boil-wash and spin-dry muddy jodhpurs and other horse-riding/mucking-out apparel.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 11:56 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Berco boilers are also very popular in stables, used to boil up a bran mash when needed. (A feed sometimes needed in cases of colic and laminitis)

An ordinary automatic machine is just fine for mucky jods and boiling modern stretch materials just ruins them. For comfort, you want riding pants that look like they were sprayed on and modern materials with a large Lycra percentage are superb. It's numnahs (big thick saddlecloths) which are the load from hell for washing machines. Some stables have very large industrial washing machines to handle horse rugs.

David
Old 5th Dec 2018, 12:21 am   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

my other half collects them, (..yes) and are periodically wheeled into the kitchen as a 'treat'. I find them rather uncivilised.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 12:26 am   #5
suebutcher
Heptode

I've always used twin tubs. My first machine was a Hoovermatic, and I now use a Sanyo. Of course the British definition of twin tub may be different from the Australian...
Old 5th Dec 2018, 12:40 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I gave up the fight to maintain ours - a Rolls Rapide and one of the first Servis Supertwins - about ten years ago, in favour of a so far maintenance free Miele automatic. The two twintubs along with several single tub machines and spin dryers and a huge Bendix LT washer-dryer have nearly all been rehomed to collectors in recent months, and several at least are back in operation. Time's running out for a sole remaining Hotpoint Empress single tub.

A '30s Burco boiler has been our source of hot water for baths etc. since the Rayburn sprang a leak about three years ago. Honourable retirement to the attic comes its way in a fortnight when we move to a property that has an immersion heater.

Paul
Old 5th Dec 2018, 12:40 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Washing machine and spin dryer in separate tubs in a single outer casing is the Brit one....

You can still buy a brand new one if you wish.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 5th Dec 2018 at 12:46 am.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 1:16 am   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
I gave up the fight to maintain ours - a Rolls Rapide and one of the first Servis Supertwins - about ten years ago, in favour of a so far maintenance free Miele automatic. The two twintubs along with several single tub machines and spin dryers and a huge Bendix LT washer-dryer have nearly all been rehomed to collectors in recent months, and several at least are back in operation. Time's running out for a sole remaining Hotpoint Empress single tub.

A '30s Burco boiler has been our source of hot water for baths etc. since the Rayburn sprang a leak about three years ago. Honourable retirement to the attic comes its way in a fortnight when we move to a property that has an immersion heater.

Paul

Wow Paul, I'm impressed!

I used to fix Rolls Rapides when I was still at school in the 60s.

And Burco boilers until 2002 when I retired.

If you have a 30s Burco it will be the one with plate elements bolted on underneath. Last time I saw one of those was around 1994.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 1:57 am   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I still have the manual for our Hot point (it had automatic spin-rinse) but the machine went a decade ago. We kept it for some years after getting an automatic mainly for doing the washing on returning from holiday, as it would do a wash in 5 mins. Eventually we needed the space. Very economical as you could do several loads using the same lot of detergent.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:03 am   #10
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

I've got one, a mid 1980's Hoovermatic, I found it for sale at the local recycling centre when I needed a washing machine urgently (my main machine had met its maker....). It did the job nicely until I bought a new machine, and then I couldn't bring myself to get rid, I've still got it!

I use it when I have a huge amount of washing to get through, as a full load can be washed, rinsed, and spun in about 15 mins, and it washes really, really well. I quite enjoy the whole thing, I make sure I've got some good music on, a coffee on the go, and it's soap splashing heaven
Old 5th Dec 2018, 12:24 pm   #11
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Washing machine and spin dryer in separate tubs in a single outer casing is the Brit one....

You can still buy a brand new one if you wish.
Same as Australia, then, though they came many shapes and sizes. There was a really oddball Australian fibreglass bodied twin tub made by Lightburn that was based on the company's cement mixers!
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:55 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

There's a generic-looking chinese plastic twintub offered from various online retailers including ebay and amazon which has been the subject of a safety recall due to defective insulation.

OT but the white goods forum has several serious safety recalls from big brand manufacturers which may interest washer fans!
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:04 pm   #13
electronicskip
Nonode

LG Make a range of modern day twin tubs but not for the UK Market.

I did a "find your nearest store" on the website and if I wanted one I would have to go to the United Arab Emirates!! (think I will give it a miss)

https://www.lg.com/ae/semi-automatic-washing-machines
Old 5th Dec 2018, 6:22 pm   #14
Tractionist
Heptode

Aaaah .... the scandal of Rolls Rapide!

The English Electric 'Liberator' [yes those of 'The Lightning' high altitude interceptor] was a cracker!

Burco boilers are great too ..... for mashing an 'all grain' real ale! (I seem to recall that Burco took over Roberts Radio too .... ?)
Old 5th Dec 2018, 9:38 pm   #15
kirstyd
Heptode

I have two TTs here .The very first one made by Hoover and the last model[5090] so two machines from either end of the time scale both work well.I use the later model when the weather is good .Doing a whole weeks washing including hanging it out in less than an hour while the auto is still only half way through its cycle .The humble twin tub may look silly and a little crude to anyone born in this century but when they came on the market they were a godsend to the British housewife and an end to hours of back breaking work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_104003.jpg
Views:	3555
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	174033   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030082.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	174034  
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:16 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebutcher View Post
Same as Australia, then, though they came many shapes and sizes. There was a really oddball Australian fibreglass bodied twin tub made by Lightburn that was based on the company's cement mixers!
Aieee! Lightburn!! The Australian branch of my family were foolish enough to buy a Lightburn "Zeta" in the early-1960s.

They rapidly realised their mistake and bought Holdens everafter.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 10:21 pm   #17
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
I have two TTs here .The very first one made by Hoover and the last model[5090] so two machines from either end of the time scale both work well.I use the later model when the weather is good .Doing a whole weeks washing including hanging it out in less than an hour while the auto is still only half way through its cycle .The humble twin tub may look silly and a little crude to anyone born in this century but when they came on the market they were a godsend to the British housewife and an end to hours of back breaking work
I think your machine is the later version of mine, the T5054
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	matchboxpaul++1-12-2011-13-45-13.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	174039  
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:00 am   #18
Tractionist
Heptode

I seem to remember my old Mum's Hoovermatic twin tub having a large stucco pressed aluminium top lid? Anyway - it was a very reliable appliance .... in fact I can't ever remember having any trouble with it. It was also a huge / quantum leap up from the old boiler and mangle .......
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:02 am   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
The humble twin tub may look silly and a little crude to anyone born in this century but when they came on the market they were a godsend to the British housewife and an end to hours of back breaking work
And didn't need plumbing in.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:17 am   #20
Martin Bush
Octode

If it's not too OT could I ask why the twin tub, which seems to be much quicker, went in favour of modern automatic machines?

I remember them from the early 80s we had one as did my grandma (think she held on to hers as long as possible).