UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2018, 6:49 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Rise and fall lamp pulley set

The pictures attached show the system which I found today- hiding in a box in a corner of the garage underneath my hank of green/yellow sleeving for wiring jobs (I needed a bit of that for another little job I was doing).

It's quite neat with no sticky out pulleys, just the two units, one for fixing to the ceiling and the other weighted unit to thread the wires through.

I've threaded them up with some single core flex just to show it in operation- the wire from the upper unit tied onto the hook is the power feed in at the top and the wire hanging down from the lower unit would go to the bulbholder rather than the mug in the picture!

To raise the lamp, you grab the bottom unit and pull it down, to lower it grab the lamp itself and pull that down. The lower unit is weighted noticeably and that together with the general mechanical "inefficiency" of the system means that the weight of the lamp doesn't just pull itself down and the weight of the lower unit conversely doesn't just pull the lamp up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3641.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	158173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3642.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	158174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3643.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	158175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3644.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	158176  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Feb 2018, 9:21 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Rise and fall lamp pulley set

The china versions used to have a plugged filler hole to allow you to fill with lead shot or remove some to balance the light and shade. J.
Closed Thread