UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:29 pm   #1
Vintage45
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N7150 Reel to reel

I have Philips N7150 which plays back well on all tracks on recorded tapes but when in recording mode, although the level meters show a good response and the tape erases, playback is blank. This is true for microphone and direct record inputs. I am an experienced radio and hif repairer but have limited knowledge on tape machines. Have a full range of test equipment and the German service manual. Any hints on where to start to get this mechine recording would be most appreciated.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:35 pm   #2
bobreel
Triode

Default Re: Philips N7150 Reel to reel

Try cleaning the heads with IPA or meths. I have found it only takes a hardly visible amount of dirt on the recording head to inhibit its function. Hope that's of some use.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 11:23 pm   #3
Vintage45
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you, will try tomorrow and get back to you
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:18 pm   #4
Vintage45
Retired Dormant Member

Now records on one channel but very low volume
Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:39 pm   #5
bobreel
Triode

I can only suggest you have another couple of goes at cleaning the heads. It takes hardly any dirt to inhibit recording. Also source/monitor switches can often cause problems. try repeated operation with switch cleaner squirted into the switches.
Closed Thread