UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 3:13 pm   #1
BillTweedy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tandberg 741- B Reel To Reel - any good?

As I'm having troubles with my current reel to reel machine I have been offered a Tandberg 741- B Reel To Reel recorder through a friend of a friend of a friend. I've been told it's working OK but the only thing that wasn't tested was making a recording due to no microphone.

I was wondering if any forum members have an opinion on this make of machine.

Bill
Old 17th Feb 2017, 4:10 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 741- B Reel To Reel - any good?

Good stuff in its day - there can be some issues with clutches, but a good solid design and worth the trouble. Mentioned in the same breath as Ferrograph and Revox in the sixties.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 4:26 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It does depend on what you want it for, and if you enjoy using and maintaining old recorders. If you just need something to play and record tapes in a domestic environment, a 70s hifi deck from somebody like Akai or Sony may be easier to live with.

Tandberg went on to dominate the UK school tape recorder market in the late 60s, though not with this model.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 5:08 pm   #4
MikeCross
Tetrode

You will probably suffer with clutch problems.
I have tried to repair many but had to give up.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 7:38 pm   #5
BillTweedy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies.

I only want to see what is on my collection of tapes and transfer any family commentaries to a newer format. I don't want it for recording or playing tapes. As long as any machine lasts long enough to meet these needs it will probably work out cheaper than paying someone to transfer them.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:25 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Well then, if it is working, use it and pass it on afterwards. When they're going, they're fine.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 4:17 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

I think the clutch issues tended to be with later models. There will be some capacitors that require replacement before you use it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Feb 2017, 7:50 pm   #8
BillTweedy
Retired Dormant Member

I've decided against this now, thanks for all replies.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 5:13 pm   #9
saxmaniac
Heptode

Why not ask for a forum member nearby to lend you a working machine and give him the tandberg as a payment? I wouldn't be surprised if someone was local and willing
Old 20th Feb 2017, 9:55 am   #10
BillTweedy
Retired Dormant Member

I decided against this machine as it turned out a belt must have been broken or something affecting the rewinding of tapes. I am trying to fix my broken Ferguson at present. Nice suggestion though.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 2:35 pm   #11
ricard
Octode

50 or 60 years after their inception, tape machines tend to fall into one of two categories: 1) Machines which have a few fairly easy to repair parts which need replacing, but once fixed, will soldier on for years to come, and 2) Machines which have one or more parts which fall apart and basically require a donor machine to get working again.

Tandbergs, especially early 1960's models like the 741B tend to fall in the first category. New belts, a refurbished pinch roller, and the replacement of some critical capacitors and the machine is good to go. Some Ferguson models, for instance the 3216 and 3230, also fall into this category, perhaps even more so.

Machines in the second category would be any machine with Bogen heads such as B&O or some Brenell models, or the Grundig TK46 and similar models which are plagued with disintegrating die-cast pieces.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 6:01 pm   #12
Michael Maurice

Dont forget Akai's, they fall in the second category because of the cams disintegrating.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread