UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2017, 2:04 pm   #21
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone know what this is?

The collective knowledge on this forum is sometimes quite humbling. Not only identified as a lamp part but also exactly which one.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 2:16 pm   #22
Station X

I reckon I know where it came from more or less. Around 1980 my father bought quite a lot of stuff from a Norwich shoe factory which was closing down. There was certainly a lathe, now owned by my brother, and several sewing machine motors. I reckon this stand formed part of the same lot.

I think the rest of the lamp ended up screwed to the wall above his work bench. I will have a look at some old pictures and see if I can confirm this. Alas it was left behind when the house was sold.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 3:14 pm   #23
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The National Union of Boot and Shoe Operatives (NUBSO) had their headquarters, or possibly a sizeable branch office in Norwich.

The other big centre apart from Northampton and Norwich was Leicester.
Well, you learn something new on this Forum all the time. I have a friend who was brought up in Northants and he used to refer to it as the "Shoot and Boo" industry, believing that Northampton was the hub city. The film "Kinky Boots" is set in a failing gentleman's shoe-making company in Northampton, too. I can understand that there might well be other places where footwear of one sort or another was made, but this is the first time I have heard of Norwich or Leicester being involved. In fact, I thought Norwich was famous for mustard (Colman's).
Colin.
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 12:43 pm   #24
Brigham
Octode

Norwich is famous for mustard.
Shoes come from Kendal!
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 5:33 pm   #25
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Norwich is famous for mustard.
Shoes come from Kendal!
Peppermint shoes?
They make mint cake in Kendell.
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 10:17 pm   #26
Dai Corner
Hexode

In my mind, Norwich means Insurance (Norwich Union - now Aviva I think) and, vaguely back on topic for a vintage consumer electronics forum, 'The Quiz of the Week - The Sale of the Century' with Nicholas Parsons on Anglia TV.
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 10:38 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

"For the benefit of Mr Kite"...

Lawrence.
Closed Thread