UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2012, 8:01 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Sticking grille cloth to the rear of mesh?

I've got a speaker here which has a perforated mesh grille and cloth glued to the rear of the grille before its screwed to the front of the cabinet. The cloth has ripped and needs replacing. The question...what sort of glue & technique would be suitable? I can't spray the cloth..it'll block it up. I can spray the grille..but it mustn't come through to the front or it'll spoil its finish. I've tried a little carpet glue but it's stringy and oozes like mad through the holes. Wallpaper paste..not strong enough I fear for cloth. Any other ideas any folk?

Old 9th Jul 2012, 8:30 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Sticking grille cloth to the rear of mesh?

Don't use Copydex whatever you do, leaves stains! Guess how I found out...

You could try PVA as it generally sets clear, although this might be "stringy" or ooze like your carpet glue...?

Robert
Old 9th Jul 2012, 9:03 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

whatever I use it has to be high-tack (PVA isn't, from my school day memories) otherwise one false move and it will smear over the jet-black cloth before it's grabbed it.
Old 9th Jul 2012, 10:18 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Spray on Evostick on the grill would probably do the job but you need to get it right first time.

Peter
Old 11th Jul 2012, 10:21 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

In the end I settled for Bond-Loc brushable contact adhesive. I managed to thin it down to single cream consistency with some MEK. Then I brushed it on. In a few places the glue started blocking the grille holes up but I blew on them to clear them. The cloth stuck instantly and I've left it overnight. In a few small places the glue has run through and bubbled the paint on the face side a little but it's not a disaster.