UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2012, 3:20 pm   #1
JoshWard
Octode

Default Roberts R200 knobs stuck!

Hi all,
I have found numerous threads regarding stuck knobs and have tried heating and penetrating fluid but to little avail.

I currently have a Roberts R200 on the bench which I need to get apart. All three knobs have rusty grub screws and all their heads have been sheared in the past. I cannot get a drill in there (or a junior hacksaw to cut the shafts) to drill the grub screws out, I have managed to get one knob off using heat but the other two are stuck fast.

Are there any other methods I could try?

If not I guess I will be spending all night in the workshop with a hot air gun and soldering iron

Thanks in advance,
Josh.
Old 20th Jun 2012, 5:11 pm   #2
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts R200 knobs stuck!

Josh, I assume you have left the penetrating fluid for ages. this seems to be important but if the screw heads are badly damaged it may not help.

I have a recollection of some time in the past getting the works out with the knobs in situ. I have no idea how I did this but it remains in my memory because I could not get it back in and that surprised me.

I probably used brute force along with lots of wriggling.

If you had considered cutting off the shafts with a junior hacksaw you could as a last resort use a nut-splitter approach instead and sacrifice the knobs. Obviously this is not much use unless you have replacement knobs.
Old 20th Jun 2012, 5:20 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

Hi John,
I think I will have to go for the 'nut splitter' approach, and hope I can get another set of knobs. I will try gently drilling a hole in the centre of the knob to see if I can loosen it, or maybe a few small holes going across the top (all the knob brites are off now thanks to the hot air gun melting the glue!).

I have got nothing to lose as the knobs have got to come off to do anything with the set (I tried to get it out with the knobs on but to no avail!).

Josh.
Old 20th Jun 2012, 8:46 pm   #4
davidgem1406
Heptode

As the knob brights are already off try drilling down through the top of the knob at the edge of the control shaft and in line with the grub screw. With luck this will drill away the contact point between grub screw and shaft and release the knob, without destroying either the knob or the control.

Dave
Old 26th Jun 2012, 4:42 pm   #5
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Dave,
That's exactly what I did in the end and they all came off although sadly they fell apart in the process

Oh well they're off now and the chassis side of things are nearing completion. Now I've just got to find another set of knobs

Josh.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 10:10 pm   #6
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi Josh,
Shame about that but the knobs do seem to become very brittle. Finding another set may not be particularly easy, maybe a post under "Sets and Parts Wanted" my bear some fruit.
At least you have been able to get the chassis done, and I assume the cabinet.

Dave
Old 27th Jun 2012, 9:58 am   #7
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Dave,
Yes I wonder if damp has anything to do with them becoming brittle and then hot/cold cycles over the years?
It's certainly been exposed to poor conditions as it has had some woodworm and of course the knobs were seized on by heavily rusted grub screws.

The chassis is performing well, cabinet is going to need a fair amount of work. Needs a new handle, catch, badge and recovering.

Josh.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 8:41 pm   #8
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Josh, the R200 is worth saving if only for the fact it employs 'proper' transformers! They always seem to sound nicer than the complementary output stages with the audio stuffed through a capacitor. The knobs, ah yes, these used to be as common as muck, even Radiospares (as they were then) sold them. I would like to think that your search for these may prove to be fruitful. They used to crop up on Premier kit radios etc., so keep a good look out. This radio harks from the days when Roberts actually made their radios rather than Mullard! If you catch my drift ... Happy hunting, will keep a vigil also!

Last edited by Top Cap; 28th Jun 2012 at 8:42 pm. Reason: typo
Old 29th Jun 2012, 12:59 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Les,
Yes not putting the audio through a transformer is never quite 'right' to me although I have seen some very expensive valve Hi-Fi gear with direct coupling. I have always seen a lack of a transformer as a cost cutting measure rather than a desire to reduce component count in a signal path as some seem to see it!
Thanks to Brian Pateman I now have a set on their way. Now I just need to finish sanding back the cabinet, get a few trim parts from Roberts then it's all ready for recovering!

Josh.
Closed Thread