UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2007, 1:37 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default The very common varnish, what is it

On a lot of radios you see a particular type of common varnish which seems to hide the wood grain and make the sets look even all over, often with a greenish tinge through age.

Usually, if it in poor condition I simply strip it and re polish with danish oil etc which makes the set much nicer, but there are some sets which have elaborate fronts and cheap plywood carcasses (EG Philips 274A) , This varnish hides that and if you use clear oils/varnish you can see all the joins and 'cheapness' French polish looks wrong.

Does anyone know what this varnish is. Can you still get it? Is there a trade name or what is the recipie?

Thanks
Old 8th Dec 2007, 2:19 pm   #2
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The very common varnish, what is it

Hi PWH,

I think it is probably cellulose lacquer you have in mind. It is applied by spray and tinted with toner to produce the required colour and density of finish.

Keith
Old 8th Dec 2007, 5:05 pm   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

I suspect the "varnish" you are looking for is French polish. It is still available (just try Googling it) and it gives a beautiful finish. It's very satisfying to apply
but if you make a mistake then you have to strip it all off again. There are no half measures. It either looks wonderful or total rubbish.

Peter
Old 8th Dec 2007, 6:02 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

There are several different grades of French polish. You might like to give 'Garnet' a try. It is tinted and intended for darker woods such as Walnut. Clear French polish will never mask the difference between timber tones.
-Tony
Old 9th Dec 2007, 11:13 am   #5
PWH
Heptode

HI whatever it is it is not french polish. It is not soluble in meths. It is in Nitromors

I have tried rather unskilfully to make up french polish/garnet polish with coloured powders but don't get a very good effect, so I was just wondering if the original stuff can still be bought or made up

Regards
Old 9th Dec 2007, 11:19 am   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Obviously then, Keith is correct - it is a cellulose finish. If you want to replicate this your only answer is to use cellulose with toner added. If you have access to spray equipment you could purchase all you need, but it might be easier to use aerosols (though these may not be cellulose-based). I can supply you with details of suppliers. If you'd like them, please PM me.
-Tony
Closed Thread