UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2018, 9:42 pm   #1
Breton56
Triode

Default Grundig TK5 motor not running

I have aGrundig TK5 which has been in the family since around 1960.my brother having bought it second hand.I have had it in store in my cellar for the last five years-the cellar is damp so when I unearthed the machine recently,I found the motor would not run and feared that the motor windings may have failed.I do not have any service info for the recorder(I have not look inside it since the 60's) but on operating the motor switch I discovered that the lower toggle switch,operated by a cam on the switch shaft was not toggling.On closer inspection I could see that the metal toggle on the switch had become loose in the switch assy.Has anyone come across this problem before and found a cure for it?

PS.
Forgot to say, when I shorted the switch tags, the motor ran.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 10:25 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig TK5 motor not running

Grundig seemed to use more switches than other machines.
C
One that suffers from switch problems that I came across (as I'm a collector of) was the Grundig C100 & C100L models. These were not R2R machines but early cassette machines. and instead of encapsulated types they used skeleton (open frame) switches, an open version of an encapsulated micro switch, which exposed the actuating bronze, flattened spring. This was from the same decade as you're TK5

This spring, due to a moist environment would hesitate or even fly out.

Worst was, this switch had to be removed before servicing the machine and, if this was not done prior to disassembly, could disappear inside the inner mechanism, or fly out never to be found again.

Your switch doesn't seem to be that type but it may be removable and serviceable/repaired.

Last edited by camtechman; 11th Dec 2018 at 10:30 pm.
Old 24th Dec 2018, 10:25 am   #3
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK5 motor not running

Pm sent.
John
Closed Thread