UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2015, 11:23 pm   #341
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
In Kidderminster there was a radio/TV shop called The Butts Depot... It was taken over in 1955 by John Derricutt... a great bloke...
I've just been informed of the sad news of John's death at the age of 91.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Apr 2015, 9:20 am   #342
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Reading through this thread I noticed the post on Modern Radio in Bolton. I used to shop there for components regularly as a teenager back in the 60’s. The shop then was split into two parts. You went in the front door to the radio part, where Mrs Burrows (spelling?) reigned supreme. She sat behind her counter and could reach into all the little drawers of components or turn round to operate the Mullard valve tester without getting off her stool!
Through a doorway into the other half of the shop was Mr Burrows, always in a fug of smoke from a cigar (or was it a pipe?). He was in charge of model boat and aeroplane kits, stocks of balsawood, and dope etc.

It was a standing joke that if something was out of stock the answer was always “It’ll be in on Thursday”. I guess that was when the Radiospares man called to replenish the stock.

I remember on one occasion Mrs Burrows said “I’ve been waiting for you to come in”, reached under the counter and dragged put a large cardboard box. It turned out that a local radio amateur had been having a clear-out, and brought the box, full of assorted components, into the shop with instructions it be given to a youngster who was learning about electronics. There were all sorts of goodies in that box that I could never have afforded on pocket-money, I particularly remember various high quality air-spaced Eddystone variable capacitors for shortwave use.

Happy days!

Andy
Old 14th May 2015, 1:02 pm   #343
Syncopator
Retired Dormant Member

I discovered this thread by accident.

Page 2 awoke many fond memories of my early youth in Wolverhampton.

My first venture into radio/electronics saw me buying a reel of 28 s.w.g. enamelled copper wire from Fenwicks, for the construction of a crystal set, the design of which I discovered in an issue of Hobbies Weekly amongst many given to me by an uncle.

That was the larger of Fenwicks two shops. A smaller one was located in Snow Hill, but I don't know, or remember, if that opened later.
Over the years I spent a small fortune on various bits and pieces, many of them ordered from Radiospares, as it was then named.
Some of those ended up in a 70cm transmitter which I used when I made the first transmisson of television in the Falklands.
I remember seeing Mr. Fenwick on several occasions. He always wore a brown suit.

I had, by then, also discovered Geoff Ling's, and was a regular visitor. He was then located a few yards from the Savoy cinema, and from the Clifton cinema which was on the other side of the road - was it Bilston street? The shop premises backed on to the Technical High School, in Old Hall Street, at which I was a student.
I read somewhere that his father originally opened the business as, if I remember correctly, a plumbing or similar shop. Anyone remember?

After he had moved to Fryer Street I went to college in Manchester studying for my P.M.G. certificate so as to become a Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy. Once the "ticket" was in my hand I bought a uniform, and wore it a couple of times when I went into town, Well, I was quite proud

On one occasion, whilst in uniform, I left Geoff's shop and bumped into an R.A.F. man, obviously from their recruitment centre at the bottom of Fryer Street. He was quite astonished to see a naval, albeit Merchant, uniform.

I have only vague memories of his move to Snow Hill. I think that by that time I had started my travels.

Waltons, when they were in Stafford Street was a great source for ex W.D. equipment. Once they moved to Worcester Street the source of such items had dried up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colsec.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	108238  
Old 25th Aug 2015, 11:17 am   #344
telstar
Octode

Hi. It looks like Simpkin & Young in west Leeds seems to have closed down. This shop was handy for resistors and other components in recent times. Another useful source gone!
Mike
Old 25th Aug 2015, 12:13 pm   #345
Syncopator
Retired Dormant Member

Yes telstar, these things often have a disproportional effect on me. It's not just sadness for me, it borders on grief.
To use some of the alternative sources of components demands extraordinary patience navigating the Internet. But I'm sure that you know about that
Old 25th Aug 2015, 3:17 pm   #346
telstar
Octode

Yes I certainly know that, the internet is o.k for many things but not all. The large national electrical company that I once worked for suffered from "internet intervention" (good wording), which also undermined their prices. I personally like to see what I am buying (in front of me). For example, there was once a shop in Leeds that sold various nuts, bolts, washers that you could have a good rummage through each box until you got your requirements. try doing that on line!
Mike
Old 25th Aug 2015, 5:15 pm   #347
stevehertz
Dekatron

Actually, in the very town where I live, there is a shop called Rugeley TV & Video. Up until about twenty years ago it was known as Rugeley Radio, but I guess the change in name was firstly to update an old fashioned one and also to reflect the nature of their business as it had changed to be. I'm not sure how long it has been going, but I'd think in excess of 50 years. To this day it's still the same as it always was, basically a repair shop for 'anything electrical' really. They sell oddment TVs and hifi stuff, and lots of bubble packed add ons such as aerial boosters, and walkie talkies, clock radios etc. They have a section of wall covered with bagged connectors, adapters, rubber drive bands for cassette players, cleaning aids, that kind of thing. Only recently someone got me to repair an old valve record player and I got a high output cartridge from them. A couple of blokes who seem to have been there 'forever' still work there repairing mainly TVs, but as I say, they'll generally have a look at most things. Does anyone have any knowledge of the beginnings of 'Rugeley Radio' on Horsefair in Rugeley at all? I'd love to know their history!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12337967.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	112224  
Old 25th Aug 2015, 8:46 pm   #348
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Incorporated 1975 apparently: https://www.duedil.com/company/01215...vision-limited

From your pic, their premises seem to date from the 1960s or later.

N.
Old 27th Aug 2015, 1:26 pm   #349
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Nick, good find. What is actually meant by the 'incorporation date' ? Is it the date the shop began trading as it were? I'm pretty sure it was there in the early 70s as I started work in Rugeley in '71 and I'm sure there was a 'radio shop' there then? Perhaps it was a different company/shop name..
Old 27th Aug 2015, 2:59 pm   #350
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The incorporation date is the date a limited company was incorporated - ie. when it became a legal entity.

Very often a small business, like a radio and TV shop starts out as a sole proprietor or a partnership and then becomes a limited company.
Old 27th Aug 2015, 4:54 pm   #351
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well that would make sense then Brian given my comment in the previous post; they may well have traded for several years as a sole proprietor before the incorporation date.
Old 27th Aug 2015, 7:54 pm   #352
John Caswell
Hexode

How about,
Premier Radio (my first superhet radio kit AC/DC), Henry's, Lasky's and GW Smith of Edgware Road, London
All the surplus shops inc GW Smith and HL Smith in Lisle Street London , and Tottenham Court Road, London
Charles Brittain, Upper St Martins La, London
TSL, and Colomor (who sold a pvc rewired AR88 for about £70.00 I seem to remember) in Goldhawk Road W12 West London,
The aforementioned R+TVC in High Street Acton W3,
Watts Radio, Kingston, Home Radio, Mitcham
The Eddystone (and others shop) in Soho Street London
All frequented by me as a lad too long ago to mention

John
Old 27th Aug 2015, 8:39 pm   #353
Goldieoldie
Octode

And Proops in Tottenham ct rd
Fantastic selection of "junk " in the 70s
Cheap as chips as well !
Old 27th Aug 2015, 11:07 pm   #354
John Caswell
Hexode

The shop in Soho Street was Webbs Radio I think, and yes Proops in Tot Crt Rd wonderful place.

John
Old 28th Aug 2015, 12:17 am   #355
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Bought my first tape recorder at Premier Radio in Fleet Street in 1954, Truvox deck and Mullard type C amplifier. Was working for City Sale and Exchange in Cheapside at the time, as well as radio and TV we sold Leak, Quad and other mono valve amplifiers.

Saw a shop in Wolverhampton mentioned earlier, I remember one in the '60s when I was visiting my uncle up there, I remember there was a notice over the low window entrance which read' duck or grouse'.

Peter
Old 28th Aug 2015, 11:47 am   #356
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
...Colomor (who sold a pvc rewired AR88 for about £70.00 I seem to remember) in Goldhawk Road W12 West London,
I, too, remember Colomor on Goldhawk Road. I went back to find it and searched fruitlessly, eventually locating the premises that they had used. But the good news is that Colomor still exist and trade online, including eBay. It also seems that they have pretty much the same quirky stock as ever, but not the slow, elderly staff who shuffled off for 15 minutes for every item on your list!
Colin.
Old 31st Aug 2015, 12:16 pm   #357
greenstar
Octode

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Ely Electronics in Leicester, Beatrice Road, off Fosse Road North. I would go there in the early 70's - I sold my entire shed full to them, valves, and a fabulous lab HT supply I greatly miss now, years of accumulated parts, when I went to University - my Dad, bless him, told me it was that or the tip! They had closed by the 90's. Surplus and components of all types there.
Tony
Old 31st Aug 2015, 5:51 pm   #358
m0cemdave
Octode

Sadly John Eley (G3LMR) died in April 2015, aged 88.

I used to buy parts from Eleys about 35 years ago. After he retired and sold the shop, John continued to maintain his extensive collection of valves. Last time I saw him, he was helping to run the bring and buy stall at the Donington Park radio rally.
Old 31st Aug 2015, 8:17 pm   #359
marlowradio
Triode

Does anybody remember a J Taylor of Bournemouth, I used to purchase valves off of him, I think he used to advertise in one of the radio magazines but haven,t seen an advert in years

Regards
Steve
Old 25th Nov 2015, 11:20 am   #360
SteveCG
Nonode

I've had a request from a friend who is researching his family history, which is relevant to the forum.

It concerns a business called "Premier Radio" located in Hurst Street, Oxford over the period the late 1940s / early 1950s. My friend has a name: Ivor Lewis, who may have run this business.

Does anybody have any information on this business (did it move, close etc. ?) or information on the runner of the business?

Thanks.
Closed Thread