UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2018, 9:39 pm   #1
Ed Baker
Diode

Default Garrard GKM 24 cartridge

Hello folks, I have recently picked up a partially restored Dansette HiFi which came with a Garrard GKM 24 cartridge & stylus. I can not find any literature on this cartridge anywhere - ie tracking force etc. It seems to be mono so I have only tested mono records only. The slightly odd thing is when I tested tracking force my scales measured about 1.7grms (this seems low to me compared to all other vintage makes which go from 4grms - 8grms on average). So why not simply increase the tonearm tracking force ?, well the tonearm is set to its max weight. I am now guessing that the head shell is missing some fixture for adding extra weight to the cartridge/head shell combination.

If anyone can shed any light on on this cartridge it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3320F40-2E51-4071-9027-3EF21AB75B85.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	169783   Click image for larger version

Name:	D52F6223-2562-4107-9D40-0AB80C46ED49.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	169784   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5DBE814-C036-4840-BAB5-1849B85E5C67.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	169785   Click image for larger version

Name:	7CF862B5-569F-4E5B-B224-B0914AFFF2E0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	169786  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:47 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard GKM 24 cartridge

Musonic stock Styli, I would suggest a tracking weight of around 4-5g

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 11:16 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

It is likely this is an ERC Compat-X mono cartridge (if there are only two pins at rear)
which can play stereo records without damage, and this would have replaced an earlier
mono only type e.g. GC2 or GC8. Your headshell is rather deep for the current
cartridge and Garrard offered a weight-cum-spacer to overcome this problem.
If you can use a longer screw and some steel washers to add say, 6mm, of extra spacing this may overcome the weight adjustment problem.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 11:52 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

That looks like a perfectly good cartridge. It's mono, but is stereo compatible, so will safely play stereo records. It looks like the adjustable counterweight is as far forward as it'll go, so you'll definitely have to add a little extra weight to the head to give this adjustment more range.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 10:25 am   #5
Ed Baker
Diode

Thanks all for your information & tips. I was surprised to know that this cartridge/stylus is stereo compatible, so safe to use on all speed formats.

The wing for the stylus turnover was shortened by whoever to fit due to the head shell depth as mentioned, looks like LP/78 option (there is no marking now apart from a numeric 1 on the 78 stylus wing side).

Will add more mass + height following your advice.

The photos show that previously I added some temporary weight on top of the head shell so that I could bump the tracking force up and give the tonearm a better adjustment range.

Strangely enough when it tracked originally at the low 1.7gm it never jumped or sounded distorted to these ears.

Thanks again to all,

Regards, Ed
Closed Thread