UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:55 am   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Does anyone remember the HMV 1867?

The HMV 1867 was a 1957 set that used the top of the range Ferguson chassis employed in the Ferguson 317T. It featured flywheel sync. a gated AGC system and a 3 channel VHF/FM radio receiver. When the tuner was set to radio a cam on the back operated a slide switch that removed the HT from both timebases. The chassis is covered by Trader sheet 1339.

The ferguson was in a "portrait" style cabinet and the HMV featured a "landscape" one with a sliding tambour door and the huge eliptical loudspeaker mounted to the side of the picture tube rather than underneath as in the Ferguson.

When I was an apprentice in 1962 the service manager bought one from the Ferguson Enfield factory. I don't know if it was damaged stock or simply unsold.

The set had deteriated in storage as most of the original paper dialectric capacitors had to be replaced with new ones from Radiospares (now RS Components).

Anyway I bought it and used it at home where I lived with my mother and my sister. Then I made a decision that i have regretted since, I decided it would be a good idea to convert it to a single standard set to receive the new UHF/625 line service. I bought an IF strip and tuner (from Manor Supplies if memory serves), stripped the chassis and built a 625 line timebase. It was a while back but I think I fitted a narrow neck 21 inch CRT in place of the original wide neck type. You will notice from the pictures two things.

1] The picture quality was not great, the HF bars in the test card being very poor.

2] I do not do anything that is not electronic and therefore the chassis is stuck in the cabinret with no mask around the CRT.

The cat's name by the way was Dixie. She was given to me by new bride in 1969. She lived to a good age (the cat ) probable because she spent her early life in a flat and never went out of our garden in later years to be exposed to traffic danger.

I do wish I had kept the set in its original 405 build. I am sure one of you TV collectors would have loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 1867-1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	174431   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 1867-2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	174432   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 1867-3.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	174433  
Old 12th Dec 2018, 1:21 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone remember the HMV 1867?

Not seen that model before, or perhaps I should say, I don’t remember seeing that model.

Has for the conversion, you did what you thought was best at the time. I think probably most of us have things we would have done differently with hind sight.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 1:25 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post

2] I do not do anything that is not electronic and therefore the chassis is stuck in the cabinet with no mask around the CRT.
Hi Colin,
I love your totally functional approach- just bung the tube in the box- who cares about the gap round the edge!! I've always thought the cabinet was only there to keep all the bits together so I've never yet bothered about the state of the box!

To me, your modifications, which made good sense at the time, make it much more interesting and it would be a shame to try and return it back to the original standard.

You imply that you still have the TV- Do you? If so, that's great!

Even in black & white, that wallpaper is LOUD!! Nice story too,

All the best,
Nick
Old 12th Dec 2018, 1:41 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Just noticed the stool the cat is sat on. I still have one, bought as a kit, glue the frame together and then weave the grass seat. Now used as a foot stool in the conservatory.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 2:14 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And a Goodmans Maxim speaker?

Don't worry, I did something similar to a lovely Pye VT11CDL about 30 years ago fitting a Decca 80-series chassis c/w 18" tube into its cabinet. It was better than the alternative, which was declining the offer of the Pye and seeing it go to landfill.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 4:32 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post

You imply that you still have the TV- Do you? If so, that's great!
The TV has long gone, I would have loved to pass it on to one of you TV collectors as it is a particularly interesting set. (At least in its original form).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post

Even in black & white, that wallpaper is LOUD!! Nice story too,
As the wallpaper was in our first flat together my wife and I have kept an off-cut for the past nearly 50 years. See colour picture below. Tastes have changed and have become somewhat more subtly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Just noticed the stool the cat is sat on. I still have one, bought as a kit, glue the frame together and then weave the grass seat. Now used as a foot stool in the conservatory.
I made the stool at school in woodwork class. I think it was to learn how to make mortice and tenon joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
And a Goodmans Maxim speaker?
Yes, still got the pair but the cone suspensions need replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Romans2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	174454  

Last edited by ukcol; 12th Dec 2018 at 4:38 pm.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 5:12 pm   #7

The wallpaper is a bit tame for the wife, the last lot I put up was of huge brightly coloured tulips. It is American format 26" wide as opposed to our 21" imported from said country and made in Britain (ah well), really thick high quality paper and a joy to put up.

Old 16th Dec 2018, 8:32 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have a Ferguson 405T, similar hand wired chassis but without the FM radio. Incredible gain and must have performed well in very difficult areas.

Is that a Ferguson 506T just visible or the very rare fringe 505T? Another cracking receiver from Thorn.

We would notice the lack of definition but I doubt if the man in the street did. I've seen a lot worse from a manufacturer! The tube looks like a 19" or 23" early 'square corner' type. John.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 9:30 am   #9
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
s that a Ferguson 506T just visible or the very rare fringe 505T? Another cracking receiver from Thorn.
It is a 506T John.
Closed Thread