UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 22nd Jan 2024, 4:20 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Bush TR130 success

Hi. I have been trying to work on my hobby of restoring my vintage radios since my mother died two years ago. It has been difficult to find the time to achieve this due to commitments in running the house.
For a while. I have had to put my Bush TR130 project to one side. The volume control had developed an irritating crunching noise upon switch on, and more noises along its track leaving only small parts of the track where stations could be received.
I put an advert for a replacement 5K log rotary control c/w d.p switch to replace the old one, but no replies for a while until traceypaper offered me some R.S ones (thanks very much, mate). This gave me some hope of starting this project again. Many people thought that it was the electrolytic capacitor that was to blame, but it wasn't. I had a word with another radio restorer, and he remembered trying to restore another Bush TR130 with a similar problem. He even tried re-juvenating the carbon track by using a pencil on it, but to no avail! Switch cleaner was only a temporary solution.
It was discovered that the radio had been used in a kitchen where it was exposed to a damp atmosphere which affected the control.
Removal of the old control was a bit tricky, the end of the shaft had a circlip in a groove, then the gear cog had to be removed from the shaft. The worst bit was trying to get the actual potentiometer out of the chassis. Once that was achieved, the newer(but smaller) replacement was installed, and another fiddly bit was getting the cog gear on the shaft (not much space to work in).I did not put a circlip on the end of the plastic shaft as the gear fitted tightly with that of the matching teeth of those on the thumbwheel control.
Anyhow, the result is no irritating crunching noise on switch on, or on other parts of the track as the control is advanced.
telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 6:42 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR130 success

Good to hear you've got a TR130 back to life.

They were an iconic 1960s design, by Tom Karen of Ogle Design [who also did the Raleigh Chopper bike and the Reliant Scimitar GTE].
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 7:26 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Mike, pleased you have managed to get it fixed and working. That design was still been used in a modern cheaply made copy of the TR130 just a few years ago.

John.
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 7:03 pm   #4
Julesomega
Nonode

These were elegant in both presentation and functional design. If anyone doesn't recognise the model number, here's a couple of pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR130.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	291478   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR130 underside.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	291479  

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 2:41 pm   #5
bobbyball
Octode

Had one in that colour years ago when I was much younger (mid 70's!). Good sound. Have another now, and also the seemingly rarer black case model which also does FM. Can't remember the model number and it's in the storage unit at the moment!

Glad you got yours going Telstar, especially with the replacement volume control.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:48 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Hi Mike, pleased you have managed to get it fixed and working. That design was still been used in a modern cheaply made copy of the TR130 just a few years ago.

John.
Hi John. Good to hear from you. I am pleased with the results after being told that the Plessey v/c's were "faultless", and the results being the opposite. There is still a problem with weak reception on medium wave, and no reception on long or band - spread. These faults were concealed by all the noise caused by the volume control. The polystyrene coupling capacitor in the oscillator department (C41) looks to be damaged, so I may replace it with a disc ceramic or silver mica type as there is a bit of crackling on the reception. The tone control does not function. Anyway, it is on the move.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:49 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
Had one in that colour years ago when I was much younger (mid 70's!). Good sound. Have another now, and also the seemingly rarer black case model which also does FM. Can't remember the model number and it's in the storage unit at the moment!

Glad you got yours going Telstar, especially with the replacement volume control.
Yes, I feel that I have achieved something at long last
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:51 pm   #8
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
These were elegant in both presentation and functional design. If anyone doesn't recognise the model number, here's a couple of pictures
Hi. Thanks for the supporting pictures of the Bush TR130
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:53 pm   #9
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Good to hear you've got a TR130 back to life.

They were an iconic 1960s design, by Tom Karen of Ogle Design [who also did the Raleigh Chopper bike and the Reliant Scimitar GTE].
Hi. Yes they are great looking. I have seen many of these radios in different colours
Old 24th Jan 2024, 7:09 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The TR130 also had a version with either a 'bandspread' setting to give easier tuning of the pirate stations and Luxembourg at the higher-frequency end of MW, or I'm sure I saw one with a dedicated preset "Luxembourg" button in place of the LW button?

All things considered, they were a great style-icon for the swinging-60s and from memory they were at one point the biggest-selling 'trannie' in the UK.

It's great to see that you've got your one going again.
Old 21st Feb 2024, 1:37 am   #11
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Great to see another Bush TR130 restored to life. I have always been impresssed by the looks and performance of these radios. I have the tan coloured model with full bandspread which shows Caroline.
Old 21st Feb 2024, 2:04 am   #12
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Fine little sets indeed. I've two of them here, one red and the other a tan one NOS in its box: also the Murphy equivalent the B818. I've always thought the TR130 must have been by far the better seller, but just last week our local auction had five B818s in a single lot in various states of disrepair - probably enough to make two or three good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The TR130 also had a version with either a 'bandspread' setting to give easier tuning of the pirate stations and Luxembourg at the higher-frequency end of MW, or I'm sure I saw one with a dedicated preset "Luxembourg" button in place of the LW button?
There are always three wavechange buttons, and always LW and MW (unless there was an export version that differed). On early sets the third button was a Luxembourg preset, but on most examples, like this one,.it's for a tunable bandspread.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 21st Feb 2024 at 2:15 am.
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote