UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2016, 10:20 am   #1
clinchy
Triode

Default No sound on my Tandberg 4000x

Hi Al
I had nearly sorted the wobble out on my recorder with cleaning the clutches and pinch roller. When playing a tape the sound just went. The VU readers aren't working and counter light is dimmer. The turntable still rotates on play and FF but not rewind ( when tape is on turntable)
Electrical area is new to me,so were is best place to start. We have come along way over past 6 weeks the Tandberg and me and am not going to give up on her now

Thanks

Kevin
Old 8th Aug 2016, 7:49 am   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: No sound on my Tandberg 4000x

Could be worth seeing if the record replay switch is dirty as this is a regular problem
Old 8th Aug 2016, 8:14 am   #3
clinchy
Triode

Thanks, will do.
Old 31st Aug 2016, 7:25 pm   #4
clinchy
Triode

Default Getting no sound on my Tandberg

Hi
Still no sound on my Tandberg 4000x. I have checked with multimeter power supply and is 240 v. Also checked switch and comes out at 0.2/0.3. This is following cleaning. Just by visual I have noticed on the circuits a few Rifa caps need replacing and will be checking all circuit boards visually and with multimeter
2 questions first am I right in thinking with these readings the sitch is ok and secondly with Rifa caps that are damaged would this stop the sound.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 31st Aug 2016, 9:17 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Getting no sound on my Tandberg

Kevin,
As you recently moved the deck from the cabinet it's possible that the speaker connections may have become dislodged. Just a thought !.
Peter W.....Reelguy
Old 1st Sep 2016, 7:36 am   #6
clinchy
Triode

Default Re: Getting no sound on my Tandberg

Thanks Peter
Have checked the right speaker which is fine, and am checking left tonight.
Am trying to work without too much movement but that is a challenge. Have started making my list for Autojumble. Touch wood won't be too extensive

Kevin
Old 1st Sep 2016, 10:57 am   #7
Nicklyons2
Octode

Might be an idea to check the DC power rail voltages. Is the rectifier hot? etc.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 1:15 am   #8
clinchy
Triode

Checking DC power on circuits and they are low on the amp circuit. Also the power transistors have all shorted according to Multimeter and some of the Rifa caps are damaged. More testing to do but already compiling a list of replacements. The poor fella is 45 years old so not surprised new parts are needed. Also going to check continuity of wiring. Full MOT so going to take time. Switches and fuses seem ok though
Closed Thread