UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2016, 7:20 am   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Recipe for rubber parts cleaner - chemists?

Since the year dot I have been using my trusty bottle of TEAC tape recorder rubber cleaner for cleaning pinch rollers and drive belts, and a great job it has always done, leaving the components very clean and retaining a grippy, 'rubbery' surface. Conversely, neat IPA will remove deposits from rubber but it's not so kind to the surface of the rubber long term; it seems to strip it of the rubbery feel. Maybe IPA removes a component of its chemical makeup. I dunno.

Anyway, my old bottle of TEAC rubber cleaner is sadly running out and so I've decided to make up some of my own. That is unless someone can point me in the direction of some readily available proprietary stuff. When applied and in use the TEAC stuff shows signs of foaming, so I reckon it's got some detergent in there. I'd also think that it has a small quantity of alcohol in there too. My plan therefore is to add a drop of 'Fairy' liquid and a drop of IPA to a small pill bottle of water. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010159.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	130386  
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:11 am   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: Recipe for rubber parts cleaner - chemists?

There are products out there such as rubber renue which should replace what you have. Photocopier maintenance uses such stuff
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:58 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks saxmaniac, it seems a good product. Has anyone used it and able to comment on 1) its effectiveness and 2) its long term effect on pinch rollers etc?

Here's the maker's description:

Rubber Renue restores old rubber parts that have become hard and lost their tackiness and flexibility. Firstly, it causes the rubber part to swell, allowing dirt to come out of its pores. Later, the solvent dries and the rubber returns to form, but tacky again, so rollers and platens have their grip back. It is great for returning flexibility to rubber belts as well. This product utilizes strong solvents and is not for general use in home or office*. It is intended for use in professional maintenance and repair operations. Use only in well ventilated areas.

* Presumably this is just to cover themselves?
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 9:01 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I am not sure about adding Fairy to your concoction, years ago I used Fairy in my car windscreen washer bottle unfortunately it left a very difficult to remove film over the windscreen. The formula may have changed by now. Back in the 70s Tandy sold a rubber rejuvenating liquid, I seem to remember one of the ingredients was later found to be unsafe.

John.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 9:07 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well, what detergent then as it (the TEAC rubber cleaner) clearly uses something that froths when applied or bubbles when you shake the bottle?
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 9:57 am   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

That was my experience of Fairy, I don't know what would have been used in your cleaner. The Photocopier maintenance product sounds like a possible alternative to your cleaner.

John.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 10:13 am   #7
ricard
Octode

Teslanol (makers of Oszillin t6) have a good product called GR (Gummi Reiniger). I don't know if it's only available in Germany, but in these days of global trade I don't suppose that would really be a problem. I have used it on pinch rollers and belts with great success: it cleans well, and seems to leave the surface in a, well, rubbery condition, with no swelling etc noted.

As to what's in it, I don't know, perhaps there's a hazardous substances sheet out there which describes the contents to a certain degree. It is extremely volatile, and will evaporate very quickly, if that is of any help to anyone. IPA would evaporate at roughly the same rate as Ethanol wouldn't it?
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 10:35 am   #8
Alistair D
Nonode

I have had good success with Electrolube Rubber Roller Restorer.

http://cpc.farnell.com/electrolube/r...0ml/dp/SA01296

As for which type of soap to use. Most soaps, hand washes etc have moisturising oils added so it would be worth looking out for pure soap. In solid form it could be dissolved in water to get the strength you require.

Al
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 11:37 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
I have had good success with Electrolube Rubber Roller Restorer.
That sounds like the 'real deal' and might be good for 'idler wheel' on record decks too?

Not outlandishly expensive either.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 12:38 pm   #10
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Platen cleaner from RS is excellent stuff for idlers/belts, I swear by it
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 12:48 pm   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

The Electrolube RRR250 does seem to be the right stuff, but it's a pity it comes in a spray can, when for many audio apps you perform rubber wheel cleaning with the cleaning liquid on a cotton bud due to access difficulties. Yes you can spray some into the lid and dip the bud into it. I note that it is a restorer, formulated to 'refresh' the surface of rubber components, and not a more basic (?) cleaner. Seems a good product!
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 1:02 pm   #12
Alistair D
Nonode

My can is a pump spray rather than a pressurised aerosol. Not as good as a bottle to dip the cotton bud in but better than it spraying everywhere but the bud. A gentle press on the button dribbles a few drops only.

It would be worth checking that type of can is still the one used.

Al
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 2:50 pm   #13
Refugee
Dekatron

I also have a spray can of the Farnell/CPC stuff.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 4:28 pm   #14
Linnovice
Hexode

If you contact any reputable Print Room Supplier (SOS, Litho Supplies) and ask for Blanket Rejuvnator they will sell it to you. Usually comes in 1lt or 5lt containers. It's perfect for cleaning and reviving all manner of rubber pinch wheels and jockey wheel. It's made to revive and resurface printing machine rubber blankets. Doesn't hurt the rubber in any way but will remove all crud and glaze that can develop. You will be left with a perfect, flat matte flexible rubber.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:09 pm   #15
vidjoman
Dekatron

Cotton buds are usually a hollow tube with buds on the ends. Cut one bud off and try the tube in an aerosol can. That way you get a wet bud to use as you wish. Saves spraying where you don't want it.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:31 pm   #16
Bobdger
Hexode

One of my customers make print room products. Hydro Dynamic Products Ltd
Unit 2-3, Harbour Way, Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex BN43 5HZ
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:44 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Cotton buds are usually a hollow tube with buds on the ends. Cut one bud off and try the tube in an aerosol can. That way you get a wet bud to use as you wish. Saves spraying where you don't want it.
On the face of it seems a nifty idea but 1) I'm doubtful that the tubes are of a compatible size, 2) I use considerable pressure on the cotton bud to scrub idler wheels while holding it near to the bud tip in order to apply that pressure, I can't see how it would work all bendy on the end of a can.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 10:36 pm   #18
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

From the specs of the CPC Electrolube rubber restorer (density, boiling point and flash point) it looks as if it could be ethanol. If so, it is difficult to buy it cheaper.
Closed Thread