UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2008, 3:49 pm   #41
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: NVCF 2008 - 11th May

Another super day out! Beauiful weather as well.

My thanks to all involved in what must be a massive piece of organisation, which all worked very well.

Nice to put faces to many Forum names too.

Dave
Old 11th May 2008, 5:37 pm   #42
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: NVCF 2008 - 11th May

Had a good day too.
Got rid of 2 big oscilloscopes and an Ekco TMB 272 and to fill the "gap" where they once were bought 2 405 line tellies .

found nearly a set of spare valves for a Philips 663a telly (and a NOS EM34 for 50p !!).

One little thing though, the canteen seemed to underestimate how many cold drinks to stock. I can't stand hot drinks or coke so the range was a bit limited.

Christopher Capener
Old 11th May 2008, 5:55 pm   #43
neil29
Heptode

I came away with a fair number of tvs,again . and there was plenty to see and buy. but i left fairly early as i was running out of money,and space in the car. but as said, nice to meet other people off here. and all in i enjoyed it.(apart from the heat).cheers neil..
Old 11th May 2008, 6:10 pm   #44
jay_oldstuff
Octode

yes a very good day indeed
I drove down in the smaller of my cars as to limit what i could bring back, no tellies then, but got a couple of sets a little pye car pull out job from a junk box and a 30's home brew job to strip for parts also two bheranger 24 way patch panels for the OB truck at work a bargain at £20 the pair. i was mighty tempted by that huge Land rover sign but know way was that going in a 2+2,
i note they have made some improvements to the venue since the last time i attended (year before last), defenetely think this is the right place for the NVCF to stay now.

Jay
Old 11th May 2008, 6:21 pm   #45
Tazman1966
Nonode

I'll add my praise to all involved for a smashing day out. I came away with less than I arrived with but that's probably just as well At least Sara (SWMBO) was very happy with the little Bush VHF90 that I bought.

It was nice to see a few old faces and meet a few new ones too.

All in all a fine day and the weather just added to the excellent atmosphere too.

Thanks and now to play with "stuff"!
Old 11th May 2008, 6:51 pm   #46
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

The NVCF gets better each time and the new venue is just right. The Fairground organ also helped to make it a very enjoyable day out.

I must also add my thanks to the organisers, they should feel very pleased with the result.
Old 11th May 2008, 6:55 pm   #47
harvestgold
Hexode

A splendid day! I passed on three TVs and a Leak amp & Tuner and some other bits, met some really nice people bought a lovely Defiant transistor set and some hifi separates and picked up the scope I had bought from Mike Fulton, and to put the icing on the cake, as I was about to leave, was given an Akai 1710 reel to reel recorder by a kind stallholder!

A very well organised event, especially with the nice addition of the musical features outside (and inside!).

Dare I say, the best one yet?

Neil
Old 11th May 2008, 7:06 pm   #48
Ian B
Hexode

I'll add my congratulations to those already expressed. Many thanks to all those involved in the organisation and running of the event, not forgetting Dave Moll et al. who shifted an impressive amount of stuff from the bring & buy stall.
I brought home more than I disposed of, but at least it's different stuff, and I was very pleased to get a GEC Mains 3 which I've been hoping to find for some time.

Nice to see all the familiar friendly faces, next stop Stockwood Park!

Ian Blackbourn
Old 11th May 2008, 7:40 pm   #49
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi All,

Nice to see lots of faces today - even nicer to have people spot me!

I came away with more than I planned to - Sadly I didnt manage to get the Murphy to Steve P, nor did I bump into Cre8anet, or fix it now, so three radios went back home with me - perhaps their owners would like to indicate if they still want them......

I didnt spend much today - I have run out of room here, so wasnt really collecting much. I was quite happy to see the new hall extension - it improved the venue by a huge amount.

It was really really hot! - I wonder if some ceiling mounted fans might be an idea for the owners - certainly the doors opening made good sense!

There did seem to be a huge increase in audiophools, and related sellers this time, not too sure if that was just because there seemed to be much more room?

Once again Mike, and the trusted band of helpers ought to be congratulated on an excellent day out!

I also feel that Jeffrey Borinsky (PPPenguin) ought to have a mention - as I understand that he had something to do with the exhibition this year - although mechanical music isnt really my thing, it was good to see a constsnt stream of people being entertained in this way.

Off to play with the few odds and ends I did manage to get.....

Cheers
Sean
Old 11th May 2008, 7:41 pm   #50
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Wasn't it a warm day ! It was good to meet many folk from the forum there today too

I didn't buy much today but found some good stuff including a very nice German 1960 Nordmende VHF transistor set (and it works) which had been brought over from France, a Dutch Philetta AM/FM midget set, a Polish Unitra Figaro Special, a Bush VHF62 in very good condition, a nice VEF 206 SW transistor set and this poor old thing for £4, a 1956 Stella ST236A
I reckon it'll come up nice ....

Oh and I found a brand new Bush DAC10 loudspeaker still in its box !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF_Stella_ST236A 001.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	17088  

Last edited by howard; 11th May 2008 at 7:47 pm.
Old 11th May 2008, 7:42 pm   #51
Brased
Hexode

I don't know what I can add. It was my first NVCF and it won't be my last. The facilities were certainly fine and the organisation excellent. My thanks to all those who must have put in so much work to achieve such a great day.

I didn't want to drive so I used the train. Everything went smoothly and the coach shuttle to the station was fine. I just hope that that the apparent lack of use of this facility doesn't lead to its withdrawal.

I hadn't brought a long shopping list but I came away with a bag of capacitors from the BVWS stand and some unusual Tek 500 series plug-ins and some manuals. Most of all it was good to meet so many friends and to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the event.

Edward
Old 11th May 2008, 7:51 pm   #52
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the compliments. It was definitely a great day. A bit too hot for me personally but I'm not complaining. The hall is greatly improved by the new extension and entrance.

I would like to give thanks to all the mechanical music people who produced an excellent and tuneful show, both within and without the hall. A very special thanks to Dave Moll who kept smiling on the Bring & Buy even when it was absolutely frantic. Because of my other responsibilities I wasn't able to help him as much as I would have liked. Thanks also to Brian Pateman and others who also helped Dave on the B&B. Not 100% sure of the final figures but I think we raised £160 for the Vintage Wireless Museum. So thanks to all those who kindly donated stuff for the benefit of the museum. The 10% B&B commission also goes to the museum rather than the BVWS.
Old 11th May 2008, 8:23 pm   #53
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I got home about an hour ago, exhausted but pleased with a good day.

I ended up spending a fair amount of the day on door duty. I was on loading door A1 from 7am to 9am, had breakfast and was then on the main entrance from about 1am to 12-noon. So I didn't get a chance to see as many people as I had hoped.

I was not planning on buying much (lack of room and workshop facilities) and didn't. I bought another of those little transistor repros of valve sets, a Philips hamtin this time. I also bought a copy of Terry Martini's Ferrograph book which should be interesting even though I am not into tape recorders. Finally I bought a tatty Grundig Music Boy 150 mains/battery trannie radio for a couple of quid; the seller didn't know if it worked but it does (on mains and FM anyway) so that's going to be used in the warehouse at work.

Despite tannoy requests a few people left boxes and other junk behind which we will probably be charged for disposing of. I gathered and flattened most of the boxes though, which will be recycled at work. In fairness though the tannoy system is not very good!

The ice cream van outside was very welcome and seemed to be doing a steady trade through the day.

The new extension and payment office is a vast improvement on the previous one. By next year it will be finished (the organiser's office next to the payment office is an empty shell apart from the toilets currently).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th May 2008, 8:56 pm   #54
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I enoyed it despite the heat, which was a bit draining . I collected a couple of tvs for someone Local& I didnt come back with anything big for me ! just a nice ivory telephone and a replacement cabinet for my Ekco M23 which at £10 was a bargain .
Old 11th May 2008, 9:18 pm   #55
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

An excellent day all round. I'd also like to thank Jeffrey and Dave - thanks to their hard work and superb management of the bring and buy stall, I virtually broke even on the day and it's nice to see that the museum will receive a handsome donation.

It was good to see so many valves on sale at realistic prices, and many 78s too, although I only bought one! Test gear was also plentiful at reasonable prices. I overheard many stallholders commenting on what a successful day they'd had too. This bodes well, and the NVCF is bound to go from strength to strength. Well done to all involved.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 11th May 2008 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Comment added
Old 11th May 2008, 9:30 pm   #56
stuie319
Pentode

I'd like to add my thanks to all concerned in organising a splendid event, we've had a belting day
Was nice to put some new faces to names as indeed was saying hi to folks I'd met previously.
I was extraordinarily well behaved and only came away with one lump of bakelite, plus a bucket load of caps for the 'to do pile'.
Oh and a dac90 mains socket, thus liberating my 'death leads' for another task. result

Regards,
Stu
Old 11th May 2008, 9:32 pm   #57
Utility Matt
Retired Dormant Member

Phew, nice but long-ish day. Not much to add to all of the above. I had never been before, so took a while of wandering around just to admire things. The reasonably wide aisles for walking round were noted, I have been to many autojubles and toy fairs [old interests] and boon constantly jostled due to lack of thought on this. Plenty of doors to let the breeze in a bit was good too. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite being told twice about a utility battery set, to find it had gone both times. [or maybe there was only 1 really]. Never mind, congrats to who spotted it. I bought 2 utility sets anyway, after a bit of plesant haggling to save myself a few pennies. Both stallholders kindly kept the radios till later, both expressing the hope I would definately return, so your messages on the forum about not forgetting things must have filtered through. 1 stall holder benefitted because I then also bought a bakelite set from him at the end of my day!
Had loads of fun, possibly spoke to a few forum members without knowing it. I also loved the event because of the other - dare I say it - oddball stuff on sale. I bought some wartime 78's - which I also collect - and browsed a lot of the books on sale. A super mix of stalls also made my father's day since he also bought CD's & &8's too.

Regards
UM
Old 11th May 2008, 9:34 pm   #58
ajs37
Heptode

Yep - very enjoyable (if a bit hot!) - many thanks to the organisers, who give up their valuable free time to make all of these things work for us!

Got rid of a lot of stuff (for free mainly) and took home very little - some small trannies and a lovely Pilot Little Maestro (which has already been restored) for £15, but we are off to Sicily tomorrow, so playing with it will have to wait for a while!

Thanks once again!

Andy
Old 11th May 2008, 9:35 pm   #59
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Being my virst visit to an NVCF I was very impressed with the range of stuff there .. I just wish I'd had room in my car (and house for that matter) for an early 1960s Philips set one of the stallholders had. It looks like the big brother of a Stella set I had as a kid. I did find an identical aerial, still in its box, to the one used on our set which will no doubt come in useful for detecting a leaky feeder also an almost complete set of 405-alive!

I also collected the Sony 9-90UBs from Mike, one of which is now on the shelf next to my computer desk and works well. Haven't tested the other one yet.

Thanks also to Andy for the PC case etc.

I passed on the Mac to Keith but unfortunalely couldn't find Alan so I still have the two portables which he is welcome to if he wants them - or anyone else if not

Now I have some used and new valves to try in the sets I'm working on so a successful day

Well done to those who organized this event, it certainly won't be my last

BG
Old 11th May 2008, 9:37 pm   #60
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I enjoyed the event despite the 320 mile round trip , The first NVCF I've attended since one around 1993 at the dreaded NEC. The venue, organisation and refreshments were excellent , Seemed to be plenty of bargains around but a couple of things I fancied had already been sold. Looked through hundreds of 78s but anything interesting I've already got or it was overpriced!, so I didn't buy much, It was far too hot for serious browsing but still a jolly good day out. .

Regards, Mick
Closed Thread