UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2018, 4:22 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Philco TV for sale Southwell Notts

I spotted this today oddly in the window of a ladies dress shop. Looks complete but I couldn't get at it properly. Asking £65 but I guess they'd negotiate. PM me if you want further detail. I have no connection with the shop at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	165060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	165061  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 2:07 am   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Philco TV for sale Southwell Notts

Now there is a blast from the past. I know this Philco model very very well. I restored one in NZ in the late 1970's. It was given to me by the late John Stokes. A complete strip down and re-build with a re-electroplated chassis (it had a mouse nest in it and extensive rusting) also I re-veneered the cabinet.

The set has an MW31-74 CRT and a self oscillating line output stage based on a PL38. The RF sections are based on EF80's. I have a hand documented schematic for it. It was easily converted to run on 625 line by opening the gap a little in the line output transformer. The transformer has a paxolin top and an aluminium case and is in oil or low MP wax. I developed a method to remove the paxolin top by machining it near the lip, and then fitting a broad snap ring into the groove of the canister and re-fixing the top to that, so the aluminium canister was not damaged in any way by the process. Also I have a documented mod to alter the sound detector to FM and reverse the video detector. The set worked very well with an external Philips tuner added to receive local 625 line TV in NZ. Also John asked me to present it to the local radio club in Auckland at the time, which he was president of, it was quite an honor. I still have a handout of the talk that night. My brother still has the TV in NZ.

Last edited by Argus25; 25th Jun 2018 at 2:18 am.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 8:11 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's a Ferguson 988T superhet marketed as a Philco. All B9A valves. I think the one you had was the model 968T. TRF with PL38 and PZ30 valves. Identical cabinet with white plastic mask surround. J.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 8:36 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A picture tells a thousand words.
The 988T can be seen in the single picture.
Superhet, B9A valves and open type LOPT with oval shaped Paxolin top. Dark gold tube surround.Usually fitted with ion trap MW31-16 tube. Deep purple screen filter.

On the left is the 968T.
TRF circuit, oil filled circular 'bean tin' LOPT. Octal PL38 and PZ30 valves. Cream tube surround often cracked. Most I have seen have ion burns due to the straight gun MW31-18 tube.

On extreme right is the 988T 'Super 12'. Identical in all ways to the 988T other than a light gold tube surround that is redesigned to give the very maximum viewing area from the 12" tube. These are usually fitted with the MW31-74 grey glass screen doing away with the rather sinister looking purple filter.

Really great Ferguson receivers. Reliable and even my pet Orangutan loves the later models due to the presence of an ion trap he can fiddle with. [He loves to help]

Please don't ask the model number of the receiver in the middle of the two Fergy's.

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 968T-988T (1).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	165232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 968T-988T (2).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	165233  
Closed Thread