UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 1:25 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Blaupunkt car radio vibrator problem!

Having replaced all the paper capacitors in this radio, the vibrator refused to kick up; a slight tap on the side got it going.

The radio works but every time it was switched off it needed a tap to get it going again; this called for drastic measures, ie cut the case off.

The contacts were shot. I tried cleaning them to no avail.
So, does anyone know if there is a solid state vibrator available?

Mick.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 2nd Jul 2015 at 3:54 pm.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 1:43 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Blaupunt car radio vibrator problem!

This company in the US sells solid state vibrators:-

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/vibrators.htm

Base diagrams here:-

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/vibratorsbases.htm

UK dealers here:-

www.vintagewireless.co.uk
www.radios.freeserve.co.uk

Or you could make your own:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41944

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 1:52 pm   #3

Default Re: Blaupunt car radio vibrator problem!

The contact for 'vibrating' should be just closed when unpowered, this is the odd one in series with the coil. A little bending should do the trick.

This is a memory from about 40 years ago when I got a valve car radio that also didn't start. As far as I can remember most had the extra contact for vibrating some didn't, anyway the same applies for the contact connected to the coil.

I have a hankering for another to play with, it is quite an achievement to get a valve radio into a standard DIN format complete with HT converter.

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 5:17 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Blaupunkt car radio vibrator problem!

Thanks for the reply chaps I have cleaned the contacts and adjusted, it's on soak and working fine. I noticed when I powered down it didn't always start up, more tweaking me thinks.

It's worth a look at the USA site.

Thanks, Mick.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 6:04 pm   #5
Station X

I hope it works for you.

Unfortunately there comes a time when no amount of cleaning contacts and/or bending springsets will achieve reliable starting.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 6:06 pm   #6

A thought... In a car there would be some vibration present to start it up anyway.

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 9:48 pm   #7
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I had this problem something over 40 years ago. I think it was a non synchronous type, but with a couple of extra diodes it should not matter. I used a couple of OC28s with emitter resistors in a simple circuit. At the time, I knew little, so found the circuit in a book somewhere. I had to play with the emitter resistor value (around 25 to 30ohms if I remember) to get the coolest temps of the OC28s. It just worked and lasted well. I could find the circuit quite easily if you wanted it.
Les.
Closed Thread