UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2006, 8:59 am   #41
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Short Wave Receiver

Hi Mike,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
I did spot a BFO (V9) , Frank, so OK for SSB and CW.
You are right about that, of course. My bad.

I would be very interested in seeing the G2DAF circuit, since I have heard much about it but never had the opportunity to examine it in person.

Frank N.
Old 12th Sep 2006, 11:05 am   #42
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Here it is, Frank. I have combined the two articles from the magazine into one Word .DOC.
Attached Files
File Type: zip G2DAF.zip (769.9 KB, 295 views)
Old 12th Sep 2006, 1:32 pm   #43
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I thought there was a BFO in there somewhere! Sorry if my description was misleading Frank but this thread started off with Wireles Paul's commendable but wide ranging ambition and I had this in mind. A lot of contemporary experts comment on the difficulty of getting the best out of general coverage v amateur band designs [especially with earlier valve gear] and there is that note in the text about why he has extended some ranges. In that sense I thought that this somewhat unusual design might be a kind of usefull hybrid between the two ambitions. Are you still keen Paul? Dave
Old 12th Sep 2006, 2:37 pm   #44
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Hi Dave
Yes I am still interested in the G3LOK although my downloaded copy of the article is almost unreadable. I do have the handbook with it in, but the article is very truncated.
Brian is sending me a copy of a receiver published in RC Nov/Dec 1963. This is an 11 valve double conversion superhet General Coverage Communications Receiver by Frank Baldwin. Will study this when I receive it. Although my greatest interest is in the Amateur bands, I suppose in the long run a General Coverage receiver might be more useful.
Regards and thanks to all.
Paul
Old 12th Sep 2006, 2:54 pm   #45
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Just for information my current communication receiver line up is follows: Eddystone 659, 840C, 870A, EB37, EC10, S640, 940, 2232A, EA12. Trio 9R-59DS, R1000 (x3), Drake R-4A, R-4C, 2B, Codar CR-70A, Icom IC-R75, KW202 (x2), RCA AR88, GEC BRT.400E, Geloso G209.
Regards
Paul
Old 13th Sep 2006, 11:20 pm   #46
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Short Wave Receiver

My! That's quite an impressive range of comms. receivers that you have there! Might I enquire of the absence of a Racal RA-17 - or one of its variants? Thanks.

Aside: I am familiar with all of those except the 2232A. Could you briefly enlighten me, please?

Al / G8DLH
Old 14th Sep 2006, 10:13 am   #47
wireless_paul
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8DLH View Post
My! That's quite an impressive range of comms. receivers that you have there! Might I enquire of the absence of a Racal RA-17 - or one of its variants? Thanks.
Hi Al.
It's a bit strange really, the RA-17 was the receiver I always wanted, but somehow I never got one. To be honest, I believe I now have enough receivers, especially the "Heavy" ones?
The 2232A is the Marconi version of the Eddystone S.670A. Unfortunately mine has the badge missing, can't believe it has just dropped off, and suspect it was removed for some reason?
Regards
Paul
Old 14th Sep 2006, 12:00 pm   #48
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Short Wave Receiver

Re: RA-17 ~ point taken. IMHO the one really big "inconvenience" of it is its size and weight! And maintenance - fortunately not frequently required on mine - is not a trivial issue. But as I've always maintained, performance carries its own price tag

Re: 2232A. Of course! It had slipped my mind! Thanks anyway.

Al.
Old 16th Sep 2006, 9:24 am   #49
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Graham has kindly sent me another article about the G2DAF design in a later bulletin - et voici.
If you save it and use your own software, you can blow it up a bit to make it more readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	164.GIF
Views:	221
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	5470  
Old 10th Oct 2007, 3:09 am   #50
Bernie VK2abn
Retired Dormant Member

Mike the G2daf Rx that you are discussing isnt the latest design, the MK2 version is featured in the 1975 RSGB handbook with the blue cover ,it features All PUSHPULL circuitry ,and has a dynamic range greater than 120db wich puts most modern gear to shame I have built this RX and also the transmitter, which is featured on my website, ozham.com/vk2abn regards bernie N
Old 10th Oct 2007, 7:33 am   #51
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, Bernie - I guess that as Paul's original thread was from 2006, he has sorted himself by now, unless does his projects at my speed!

Welcome, BTW.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 6:37 pm   #52
jim_jobe
Heptode

If you want to wind your own coils see my thread above on homemade Denco coils,
Jim
Closed Thread