UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2014, 9:03 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile "Penny" slot record player.

Hi,
Just thought I'd share this scruffy little item that I picked up today for the princely sum of 1 whole euro.
It was made in Italy and has a "Penny" badge. It plays (badly) 7" 45rpm records with a large centre hole. It runs on mains, or six U11 cells. There were a set of dead, rusty batteries within which must have been there for years but, luckily, hadn't done much damage to the contact springs. I think the stylus pressure would be quite horrendous as it had to work in any position (although I've not tried it while inverted). It had a label inside indicating that it was made in 1981, which seems quite late considering that cassette tape players were well established and very popular (and much more convenient) long before. I can't imagine many teenagers carrying one of these around with a bag full of discs! They were probably made in a variety of other jolly colours besides blue.
After replacing the belt, fitting a fresh set of batteries and removing the forest of fluff from the stylus I was rewarded with the warbling tones of Englebert Humperdinck.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny slot record player (4).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	92417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny slot record player (3).jpg
Views:	458
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	92418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny slot record player.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	92419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny slot record player (1).jpg
Views:	339
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	92420  

Last edited by Tractorfan; 4th May 2014 at 9:10 pm. Reason: rearranging the worms.
Old 4th May 2014, 9:08 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: "Penny" slot record player.

I bet that will scrub up well. In the dim and distant past I remember seeing one of these in orange. Can't remember where though. Good find!

Regards,
Paul
Old 4th May 2014, 10:55 pm   #3
Courtney Louise
Octode

That's a really interesting deck, the fact it's a pivot arm and not a linear one is quite different I think in a portable..
Old 4th May 2014, 11:43 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

I have a yellow one!
They were indeed made in the early 80s, but looks wise they are not unlike the Grundig originals about a decade before. They were badged Univox and Steepletone and doubtless others.

The stylus in mine looks like a Ronette copy, judging by the securing clip. Witha new belt the speed is actually pretty stable.

I note yours has a mains transformer, mine does not, having a DC input connector. maskes it lighter I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steepletone penny.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	92445   Click image for larger version

Name:	steepletone penny-player.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	92446   Click image for larger version

Name:	univox steepletone penny.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	92447  
Old 5th May 2014, 12:33 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Its in good condition for the age. Reminds me a bit of the Philips Auto Mignon car player.

Peter
Old 5th May 2014, 8:16 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Now you're really trying to confuse me. That yellow looks remarkably like red (or in the first image, orange) to me.