UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2015, 3:50 pm   #1
Chrissy432
Retired Dormant Member

Default B103 Battery

Hi,
I hope someone can help me, I have just bought an Ever Ready 1948 4 valve radio.
Obviously hasn't got and can't buy a battery for it. It used a B103 battery and I have been told that I can use AAA or AA batteries instead. Does anyone know please how I would do this and how I would connect it to the radio as it has a connector that I have never seen before.

Thank you in advance

Chrissy

Last edited by Chrissy432; 13th Jul 2015 at 4:01 pm.
Old 13th Jul 2015, 4:09 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: B103 Battery

You could use a 1.5 volt battery for the heaters and 10xPP3 (90 volts) batteries in series for the HT. The web link shows the battery case and the connector for the B103 battery. Don't get the wires mixed up or you will damage the heaters in all the valves.

http://www.vintageradioworld.co.uk/b103_battery.htm
Old 13th Jul 2015, 6:05 pm   #3
Chrissy432
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so much, going to be fun working out how you do it lol
Old 13th Jul 2015, 6:50 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Details of the socket.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B103 Socket.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	110623  
Old 13th Jul 2015, 7:13 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You should bear in mind that this radio has probably been out of use for 50 years, so it's likely to need work quite apart from finding a battery for it.
Old 13th Jul 2015, 9:03 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Paul's advice is sound. The reason why many sets of this type got prematurely 'retired' is due to an open-circuit output transformer primary winding, caused by a faulty capacitor. Even if the transformer is still OK, the excessive current will cause the HT battery to run down too quickly.

If you do make a replica battery for the set, at the very least you really need to replace one specific capacitor to prevent further damage occurring. If you can tell us the model number of the radio or post a picture, we can talk you through the work involved. You may of course prefer to get someone to do the work for you.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread