UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2005, 2:21 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Lucky RIC2 in tan .... nope, mustard !

Hello,

Ive just completed a 2 week long restoration of a Roberts RIC2 radio from around 1972. I thought it was a tan one - well I am colourblind - but in fact after a thorough clean turned out to be a mustard coloured one which had probably been in the company of a pipe smoker for 30 odd years. It worked OK although the volume pot was shot but had obviously been well looked after cos there wasnt a single mark on any part of the case. It was just covered in nicotine

I decided not to break this one but to restore it. The handle was fine until I picked it up with a battery in it whereupon it immediately started to split in several places I cleaned the case .... gosh, its mustard ! Even the grille was a brown colour and when I tried to clean it, the black paint came off Still keen to restore this poor old thing, I contacted spares at Roberts Isleworth and surprise surprise they actually had one complete RIC2 mustard handle (£5.75 + VAT) and a new grille (£2.75 + VAT) and postage (£4.05 + VAT yikes).

I replaced the volume potentiometer with one from a scrap radio, removed the grille and repainted the area behind it in black acrylic modelling paint. I then used some Topps scratch cover on the teak sides and they are now perfect. I fitted the new grille and handle and wow, what a transformation !

So heres one very lucky mustard RIC2 thats turned out really nice. If I couldve obtained a couple of new knobs for it (Roberts have run out), it would be in near mint condition. In front of the radio is its original 'tan' handle.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIC2mustard.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1435   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIC2back.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1436  

Last edited by howard; 12th Sep 2005 at 2:35 pm.
Closed Thread