UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2008, 4:26 pm   #1
Keith_B
Tetrode

Default Bush TR82B

I have been after an "82 B" for some time and everyone always says how reliable and easy to work on these sets are.

This one was acquired in non-working condition. When I examined it, it looked clean enough but the tuning dial was loose. When I turned the dial the pointer stayed put! Removed the dial (string method) and removed chassis.

The rubber bushes had crumbled away and the vanes were seized up. I had some 20mm bushes (used in the electrical trade) and cut them more or less in half. I then curled them up and forced them into the original holes. I then inserted the brass sleeves.

The tuning capacitor was then looked at to see why it had seized. As no vanes were bent I went to the rear and with a spanner and screw driver loosed the end bearing. As soon as I loosened it the capacitor could be moved. I removed the adjusting screw completely and cleaned the five ball bearings with WD40. I then lightly greased the ball bearing and reassembled.

One of the ball bearings was larger than the others and goes in the middle and acts as a pivot. I inserted the bearing with a tooth pick. When I adjusted the end bearing I tightened it so that the vanes looked equal distance to each other when they were meshed.

The radio then worked OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr82b.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	21293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush tr82 repair(0).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	21294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush tr82 repair (2).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	21295   Click image for larger version

Name:	b tuning c.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	21296  
Old 14th Nov 2008, 4:49 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Bush TR82B

Well done Keith,

These and the early TR82Cs don't give a lot of trouble cos they don't have AF117 transistors fitted. I've never heard of a tuning capacitor seizing up as bad as this one was but it was easy enough to fix. The rotten grommets is a common problem, one can get replacements which fit without surgery from Halfords for 99p.

Howard
Closed Thread