UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2006, 1:17 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Default wartime one valve set

Hi all,
I am about to experiment with one valve sets and I belive that during WW2 some people built sets of very simple nature to use in the air raid shelter.
I have a circuit here I am thinking of trying which will only need a 12 volt (car battery) supply for HT & LT.
Any suggestions or alternatives most welcome.
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img251.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5375  
Old 11th Sep 2006, 1:41 pm   #2
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Re: wartime one valve set

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee99 View Post
Hi all,
I am about to experiment with one valve sets and I belive that during WW2 some people built sets of very simple nature to use in the air raid shelter.
I have a circuit here I am thinking of trying which will only need a 12 volt (car battery) supply for HT & LT.
Any suggestions or alternatives most welcome.
Paul.
I used to have a one valve radio that was built in WW2. LT was 1.5V and HT was 9V. Sadly I no longer have it, took it to pieces I think!
Paul
Old 11th Sep 2006, 4:26 pm   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul,
In the BVWS Bulletin for Spring 2005 Vol 30 #1, there is an article titled "Sixty Years Ago in New Zealand" which puts the time frame in the early 40's.
Anyway the author includes circuits for two one valve radios which he called "Hikers" radios. The first circuit is quite conventional but uses only 9 V HT. The second is more interesting in that the control grid G1 is connected to +1.5 V to encourage electron flow from the filament and G2 is used as a control grid. HT is also +9 V in this set.
John.
Old 11th Sep 2006, 4:40 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There is loads of information on the various incarnations of the "Hikers" sets here:-

http://www.oldradios.co.nz/hikers/

Regards, Mick. .
Old 11th Sep 2006, 5:45 pm   #5
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
There is loads of information on the various incarnations of the "Hikers" sets here:-

http://www.oldradios.co.nz/hikers/

Regards, Mick. .
Hi,
lots of circuits to try here
Thanks.
Paul.
Old 11th Sep 2006, 7:24 pm   #6
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Paul, there is a one valve radio specifically designed to run off a car battery at
www.webex.net/~skywaves/homebrew/12Vregen.htm
John.
Old 11th Sep 2006, 8:32 pm   #7
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: wartime one valve set

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGibson View Post
Paul, there is a one valve radio specifically designed to run off a car battery at
www.webex.net/~skywaves/homebrew/12Vregen.htm
John.
Just what I am looking for
Paul
Old 16th Sep 2006, 10:19 am   #8
boiss
Pentode

When I was a lad a few years back, I only had a mains heater transformer as a possible power source (6.3V). I made many single valve regens using any S.H. valves I could find. I found that the audio pentodes/tetrodes worked best including the 6V6 on around 9V Ht. Later I used a voltage doubler to give me around 15V and better performance. The battery valves such as DL96 etc worked very well.
Have fun,
Mike.
Closed Thread